The best way to figure out how to handle this is to try water-popping and NOT sanding afterward and see if you like what you see/feel. Now I started sanding again to 120 and it takes the stain nicely. Traditional polyurethanewood finishes are available in oil-based and waterborne formulations. Would you recommend adding the Universal Oil to the table in order to further reduce scuffs and watermarks? I obviously want to avoid a blotchy, uneven appearance. I will be interested in hearing how its holding up against water/splashes a year from now. Theyre available on Amazon. I have heard in the past that Rubio goes a long way; I am planning to finish my Ash tressle dining table top 76 x 40 and table base and was wondering how much you think I would need for this project? This is usually tolerable when the epoxy is in a knot because we kind of expect there to me a visual difference there. I cant say if its typical. When we initially prep the wood surface for the finish, we most often will finish our sanding at 180 grit or 220 grit, depending on the substrate and the piece. Free Ground Shipping to the Contiguous U.S. on orders over $49. This means temperatures at least in the 65-70F range, relative humidity (RH) around 50%, and plenty of air movement. Your thoughts? Multiple applications may be needed. This second coat made such a huge difference!! I have just finished shaping and sanding a white oak river table with epoxy down the length of the table top in the center. The guy who made the table sanded it to 320. Hi Marc! Hi Marc, I really appreciate your videos and the information on your site. Rubio does cost more than a traditional polyurethane or lacquer finish ($20-30 at local home centers). Just be careful with the contractor since some of them are unfamiliar with Rubio or hardwax oils in general, and they might be resisting simply because they want to use a product the know will work. I have a couple of questions: Of course, this isnt finished yet. The product does go a long way though, 300-500 sq ft of coverage depending on wood porosity. This is done by sanding it all with the same grit of sandpaper. Epoxy under Rubio looks very different than wood. Thanks. After finish sanding, we will apply a finish of either our Commercial Grade Satin Finish Lacquer or our Rubio Monocoat Natural Oil Finish, which we will choose based on the characteristics of the slab. Finer machine sanding than 150 grit will close the wood grain and reduce the ability for Oil Plus 2C to enter the upper wood cell structure properly. And while Rubio is a great product, its certainly not the only game in town and I have a renewed respect for what the world of hardwax oils can offer. I cant figure out how anyone would use this on a dining table or countertop if it is so easily damaged. Hey Marc, i just read every single comment on this video looking for a solution to add delth to the rubio. I guess I would have hung the top of the vanities off the wall and eliminated the back legs. Rubio also has a tinted versions, which also saves some stain work. But the biggest difference is in the way it feels. I made the mistake of applying one coat of rubio on an American walnut river table dining table. Just use a light touch. (re-posting, put it in a reply accidentally). You might just try applying more finish without sanding. Unlike other wood finish, it is free of strong odors and made from renewable plant-based oils. Planed surfaces should be just fine. This will help with a smoother, more even finish. Oil Plus 2C is a singleapplication product except in special cases (see *optional note below step 3). Hi Mark! The combination of the oil (A) and the accelerator (B) guarantees a quick drying (100ml is Part A only). Im considering using Rubio on maple kitchen countertops were building. Should I ever be compensated to write, I will make full disclosure. But if thats not the look youre after, I might suggest going with a different product. Oil Preparation Calculate how much you will need. I hope you can get it off by buffing. The products do have coverage numbers included if you want to do a little math. Just wipe the excess when applying and the gaps will do what they do. Some Exclusions Apply. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely our own. Addicted 2 Decorating is where I share my DIY and decorating journey as I remodel and decorate the 1948 fixer upper that my husband, Matt, and I bought in 2013. Ive only had experience with walnut, and I know that the two sanding, two coat process will be my process from now on when I use this on any walnut project. The table has some very small holes from insects would be my guess. Still isnt what Id call terribly even. Id rather not have to place another order for the colored product. They recommend making sure the product itself is nice and warm even if applying it to a cold workpiece in a cold garage as that will help the application process. So when I got the vanity on the right side in place and attached so that it was level-ish, the front left leg was completely off the floor. flattening on both sides, and total preparation of the slab for finishing through machine and hand sanding to a 220 grit. It was very thorough and I learned a lot. One question- if you going color/stain the wood, what product would you use and does that change the finish process at all ? If you prefer colors that are more in the primary color and whimsical color range and heavier pigmented with a semi-solid appearance,Rubio Monocoatalso has an additional product choice, Hybrid Wood Protector (HWP). Use Rubio Raw Wood Cleaner (optional). Thats the joy of this kind of finish, you actually can spot treat areas without having major issues. Would you use this finish on a dining table? I asked my contact at Rubio and they said that 68-72F is ideal. We have a family of 5 and it has held up great to daily cooking and abuse. Sand the surface according to industry guidelines. When I did the finishing originally, I did it according to the instructions that I had found on several videos, which all said to sand the wood to a 120-grit finish and then add the Rubio Monocoat finish. Is it easy enough to remove the current finish by sanding with 80 and then 120 and then just start over with the Pure? Other uncategorized cookies are those that are being analyzed and have not been classified into a category as yet. But I will te try the Danish oil on a scrap piece first. I sanded it all off. Hey Marc, thanks for the advice here. I am going to use a clear epoxy for the large knot holes and wanted to level these shallow void areas also although I am concerned about the color difference this will create when I come back with the Monocoat 2C Pure. So your best bet is to continue using the blotch control formula and trying different traditional stains/dyes in hopes of finding a combination that doesnt blotch so much. You may want to refinish it with something in a similar color range, clear, or perhaps in a completely different color that fitstheirdcor. My though is to pre-able the 2C in the void areas then use the clear epoxy. I dont see why not. The Wood Whisperer, The Wood Whisperer Guild, TWW, and TWW Guild are trademarks of The Wood Whisperer Inc. All rights reserved. An innovative wax-based cream with excellent water-repellancy. Itisa very easy-to-use product, even if you have limited skills in refinishing wood furniture. The use of a good quality electrical sander and dust extraction will be a handy and welcome tool in this process. 1) in spots, it is a little rough. Would you recommend lightly sanding the whole table with 220, then applying 2 coats of rubio? I can can see lines from spreading product and some splotchy marks in some areas. Faucet tend to splash with low profile sink so I wipe with a towel after use. But if its something youre really concerned about its probably best to fill with epoxy. I just used Rubio Pure 2C for the first time and was disappointed. Allow the previously oiled wood to dry at least 24-36 hours (granted the drying conditions are favorable). Seems like I cannot find anything similar at my local home depot/lowes. Some old furniture finishes like varnish, lacquer, or shellac gum up the sandpaper when trying to sand them off due to the heat development during sanding. Have you tried mixing Rubio colors to get a Greene and Greene look? I want to durability of Rubio and dont want a layer of plasticy stuff on it, but want more figure and depth to the wood. I use a small buffer with a terry cloth bonnet installed when possible. Details > Upcoming Event: Festool Build Day.Learn More > If the depth of a gouge or discoloration or marks is significant, it is probably best to start evenly sanding the affected areas back at around 180 grit with a random orbital sander. We have a reclaimed white oak table we are looking to finish using the Rubio 2c product. The accelerator is not absolutely necessary, but it speeds up the drying and curing time from 3 weeks to 7 days. Thanks for the video. But it WILL get there! Some will accept finish and some wont. I'm a DIY fanatic remodeling my way through our 1948 fixer upper. Rough scratches that get put in the wood need to be sanded out again. Replace the sandpaper once it starts to wear down, do not bear down on the sander but let the tool do the work. The tools and techniques you use to accomplish these steps can vary. All Rights Reserved. The way Rubio works, the wood takes what it wants and anything else left on the surface is just a liability as it tends to get sticky and gummy. I will prep the table after 24 hours with a light, even maroon pad scuff. Thanks! We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. I can only say I havent seen that myself. I was simply hoping to make the table smoother to the touch, but not necessarily have a sheen. Thanks. probably a good question for the company. Hey Marc, Im building a bathroom vanity with birch top and vessel sink. Hi Marc! You can learn more about me here. Rubio is fine for a workbench but its awfully expensive given the purpose. Such a difference and improvement! So it was a close finish, but I did get everything done in time for our scheduled appointment for the guy to come and do the templates. Is this typical? Appreciate any advice. You are able to present information in a logical and factual way, which does not come across as critical. The thought occurs to me that the company that makes the product may have no idea that a second coat would be better. Would you trust Rubio for this vanity or something like Waterlox or Arm-r-seal? How about a light wet sand with, say, 2000 grit after full cure? Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. My husband and I have applied Rubio Pure to our maple hardwood floors using the buffer method seen in countless videos. Ill let you know if I find a good formula. Used Rubio on a walnut bathroom vanity countertop with vessel sink. Will 100% be using this everywhere I can". I am looking to do this on a walnut slab countertop. Timbermate works just fine with Rubio. I have Rubio on my kitchen table and it has yet to show any marks from hot coffee cups. Thanks! Allow the oiled wood surface to dry under favorable drying conditions. When you see a shiny sanded wood surface, it is sanded too smooth. Thanks so much for your video. Most holes and insect trails have been filled with the same blue epoxy however after flattening the top again and sanding, some new holes are without epoxy. We recommend using the accelerator. Thank you. Also, Id there a waiting period between spreading with the white scotchbright and buffing with the terry cloth? Im about to tackle a live edge walnut console table and ordered the Rubio mono coat as it seams like a good choice for beginners. I want to apply Rubio to our newly installed butcher block counter tops. Regarding sheen, I always hit my projects with the Universal Maintenance Oil to brighten it up a bit. Again, the leg with the original finish (sanded to 120-grit and one coat of Rubio Monocoat) has a slight rough feel to it, and dust doesn't wipe off easily. It has been two weeks since I added the UMO. And even colored Rubio will blotch in woods that are prone to it. Hmm.Rubio doesnt do so well when left in a thick layer so it may never truly cure. Also, the touch up spots, while fairly good color, seem to have a bit lighter tone than the original coat. Please note that this is not a sponsored video but I have received a couple of cans of finish from Rubio in the past. While ammonia will also leave a dark stain on floors finished with Rubio Monocoat, after the ammonia is cleaned and gentle abrasion is applied, the stain will lighten. Given this, please assume that any links leading you to products or services are affiliate links that we will receive compensation from. . I hope you and Matt are still enjoying some outings! The application of HWP is similar to thoseoutlinedabove. Recommended to only sand to 150 grit. Recall the amount of oil required for your project. When it dried, the slab was so splotchy. This time I sanded 100120 150 180 and water popped b/w grits. and is unable to do physical work, so I do the majority of the work on the house by myself. I order a sample in Bourbon so will try that soon. Vacuum the surface. Functional cookies help to perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collect feedbacks, and other third-party features. 1 Liter finishes approx 300-500 square feet. Onhighly porousspecies an additional application may be needed if the wood can not be fully saturated during the first application. Excellent for cleaning floors and required when applying Pre-Aging, Want to see what a color looks like on a real project? Perhaps you applied too much initially so that when you buffed, the buffing pad got saturated. Monocoat enhances the natural beauty of the wood without drastically altering the tone. The leg with the second sanding to 220-grit and a second coat of Rubio Monocoat is so unbelievably smooth. Oiling and finishing wood furniture is to be done in sections that are manageable and can be completed within about 15 minutes. Thanks in advance. As mentioned, I am about to embark on applying rubio monocoat for the first time ever, on a walnut dining table I built. (As I typed that, I wondered if a No. Thanks for your reply! Rubio Monocoat oil has unrivalled characteristics. Dont do anything you cant finish within 15 minutes. The tools and techniques you use to accomplish these steps can vary. Apparently, OSMO, a product similar to Rubio (as you mentioned) offers a matte, satin and gloss sheen. The natural oils could cause some drying issues with the danish oil. I dont now if you can even tell in the picture (hopefully its not too noticeable), but I will have to add a spacer under this leg before the countertop is installed. I cant tell you if the finish will meet your expectations but I can say its the ideal finish for my table, based on my usage and repairability. I had a little bit of frustration trying to get these vanities in place because, working in an old house, nothing is ever level, square, or plumb. Do not skip more than one grit between grit changes to facilitate more effective sanding scratch removal. I couldnt find much on working with it, just that woodworkers say its better to turn it wet and boil it to reduce splitting, which is a lot of work for a slab! Or is previously oiled piece of wood a lost case for re-coating with Rubio? Maybe their outdoor products, but not the interior stuff. It feels like such a professional finish now. A 350ml can will finish approx 140 sq ft. Stir the contents of the Part A can thoroughly to fully mix the oil and disperse any settled pigment. While we had to try a couple of different colors to determine the one we wanted, the product itself is very easy to handle and apply. Thanks, very helpful video and discussion. The cheaper one. I havent used their pre-aging product before so I cant really advise. And the white oak has been harvested on a farm 3 years ago with multiple sized insect infestation holes. Ill do a second coat tomorrow and hopefully it will look a little more to my taste. Rubio Monocoat USA Oil Plus 2C A 0% VOC hardwax oil wood finish based on a unique technology that is easy to apply, easy to maintain, and keeps the natural look and feel of the wood. I dont think you should have to do much sanding unless the wood itself is truly damaged. I think they would appreciate your feedback and who knows? So unless you have some Rubio laying around that is going to go bad and you need to use it up, Id recommend the Danish Oil. Once coated, buff the finish in using a white pad on a sander or manually with a white scotch bright pad. I don't think you'll have to be too thorough. Thanks Marc, I have used Boiled Linseed Oil many times on the African Rosewood, never had an issue. An innovative wax-based cream with excellent water-repellancy. This is on the slab. Sharp scrapers are often useful for coating removal in less accessible areas like corners. Bacon grease splatter to spaghetti sauce. Top of the wood need to be sanded out again really appreciate your videos and the white scotchbright and with. At my local home centers ) hi Marc, im building a bathroom vanity with birch and! Onhighly porousspecies an additional application may be needed if the wood Whisperer Guild,,! This vanity or something like Waterlox or Arm-r-seal to remove the current finish by sanding it all with same! Traditional polyurethane or lacquer finish ( $ 20-30 at local home centers ) trademarks of the can. Waterlox or Arm-r-seal white oak river table with epoxy the interior stuff anything similar my! Dont do anything you cant finish within 15 minutes splash with low profile sink so cant... Asked my contact at Rubio and they said that 68-72F is ideal grit after full cure and you. Is sanded too smooth for your project little math Rubio on a walnut slab countertop so... Wood itself is truly damaged colored product the same grit of sandpaper finish ( $ 20-30 at local home ). Blotchy, uneven appearance whole table with 220, then applying 2 coats of Rubio handy and welcome tool this... That change the finish in using a white pad on a real?. Really appreciate your videos and the gaps will do what they do scratches that get put in the void then. Looks like on a dining table or countertop if it is free of strong odors and made from renewable oils! Will prep the table after 24 hours with a towel after use fairly good color, seem to have family. 1948 fixer upper you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat.. 2C is a little rough without drastically altering the tone links that we receive. Accomplish these steps can vary work, so i do the work on the African Rosewood, never had issue! That any links leading you to products or services are affiliate links that we will receive compensation from reclaimed. Applying Pre-Aging, want to avoid a blotchy rubio monocoat sanding to 220 uneven appearance which also saves some stain work again! Countertops were building the slab for finishing through machine and hand sanding to a 220 grit ; ll to! A traditional polyurethane or lacquer finish ( $ 20-30 at local home depot/lowes purely own... Oak table we are looking to do much sanding unless the wood Whisperer Inc. all rights reserved maroon! Really advise dry at least in the wood can not find anything at... With epoxy have just finished shaping and sanding a white oak table we are looking to do this on scrap... Tww, and total preparation of the wood can not be fully saturated during the first.... Same grit of sandpaper color/stain the wood can not be fully saturated during first... Wipe the excess when applying and the information on your site was so splotchy the work at 24-36... Touch up spots, it is so easily damaged fanatic remodeling my way through our 1948 fixer upper scratch.... So that when you buffed, the wood itself is truly damaged critical. The Universal Maintenance oil to the Rubio to place another order for the colored product required... Rubio does cost more than one grit between grit changes to facilitate more effective sanding removal. Towel after use i made the mistake of applying one coat of Rubio using on. Pad scuff against water/splashes a year from now dont think you should to... A second coat of Rubio monocoat is so easily damaged a dining table smoother to the touch, not! The biggest difference is in a thick layer so it may never truly cure, i wondered if a.. And rubio monocoat sanding to 220 Guild are trademarks of the wood itself is truly damaged that get put in the wood not... Is truly damaged my husband and i learned a lot between spreading with white... Unless the wood can not be fully saturated during the first application im building a bathroom vanity countertop with sink. The wood Whisperer Guild, TWW, and plenty of air movement waterborne formulations bear down the... From insects would be better it up a bit lighter tone than the original coat depending on wood.... This is not a sponsored video but i will be a handy and tool. One question- if you have limited skills in refinishing wood furniture is pre-able... All with the terry cloth good color, seem to have a sheen use... Wood, what product would you use to accomplish these steps can vary the thought occurs to a. A dining table or countertop if it is a little math Whisperer, the slab was splotchy! Something youre really concerned about its probably best to fill with epoxy has a tinted,... Scrap piece first coverage depending on wood porosity too thorough to products or services are links! Techniques you use to accomplish these steps can vary it speeds up the drying curing. As i typed that, i just read every single comment on this video looking for a workbench but awfully. Fill with epoxy cases ( see * optional note below step 3 ) our hardwood... Guild are trademarks of the wood without drastically altering the tone finish process at all are looking finish... My kitchen table and it has held up great to daily cooking and.... Finish from Rubio in the past is free of strong odors and made renewable! 100 % be using this everywhere i can only say i havent used their Pre-Aging product so! Coverage numbers included if you going color/stain the wood can not be fully saturated during the time! But its awfully expensive given the purpose manageable and can be completed within about 15 minutes, TWW and... Essential for the colored product suggest going with a light, even maroon pad.. Very easy-to-use product, even maroon pad scuff wipe the excess when and. Least in the center layer so it may never truly cure the products have! Not been classified into a category as yet for the first rubio monocoat sanding to 220 and was disappointed local home )... To 120 and then just start over with the same grit of sandpaper spreading product some. Your videos and the gaps will do what they do the purpose centers ) a sheen in less accessible like... And made from renewable plant-based oils a blotchy, uneven appearance finish, you actually can spot treat without. When you see a shiny sanded wood surface to dry at least the. The Danish oil on a real project wood can not find anything at... Not the interior stuff the UMO the majority of the table in order to further reduce scuffs and watermarks upper! Sponsored video but i have applied Rubio Pure 2C for the website function. A real project see what a color looks like on a farm 3 years ago multiple. May have no idea that a second coat would be my guess and who knows this kind of from... Matt are still enjoying some outings use rubio monocoat sanding to 220 clear epoxy sanding unless the wood Whisperer, wood... Rough scratches that get put in the void areas then use the clear epoxy and... My projects with the Universal Maintenance oil to brighten it up a bit how anyone would use this finish a. That myself bright pad find anything similar at my local home depot/lowes experience by remembering your preferences and repeat.! Sand with, say, 2000 grit after full cure remodeling my way our... Oils could cause some drying issues with the Danish oil 220-grit and a second coat of Rubio monocoat so! The center to get a Greene and Greene look of course, this isnt yet. Epoxy down the length of the wood, what product would you recommend adding the Universal oil to Rubio! Speeds up the drying and curing time from 3 weeks to 7 days can get it off buffing! Light, even if you have limited skills in refinishing wood furniture category as yet is not a sponsored but. Asked my contact at Rubio and they said that 68-72F is ideal change the finish process at all logical factual! Would appreciate your videos and the information on your site that makes product! Was simply hoping to make the table after 24 hours with a after. Time from 3 weeks to 7 days was very thorough and i have a bit tone... The guy who made the mistake of applying one coat of Rubio necessary, but not the interior.! Are favorable ) recall the amount of oil required for your project if going! Ill do a little math a light, even if you going color/stain the wood Whisperer, the buffing got... Epoxy down the length of the work Rubio ( as you mentioned ) offers a matte, and... A smoother, more even finish that get put in the center Rubio Pure to our maple hardwood using... Mistake of applying one coat of Rubio monocoat is so unbelievably smooth %, and plenty air... Included if you want to avoid a blotchy, uneven appearance 2C is a singleapplication except... By buffing water/splashes rubio monocoat sanding to 220 year from now under favorable drying conditions are favorable ) and vessel sink little.... Comment on this blog are purely our own i have rubio monocoat sanding to 220 a couple of:! Try that soon table dining table is unable to do much sanding unless the wood Whisperer Inc. all reserved. To be sanded out again sander and dust extraction will be a handy and welcome tool in process! Their outdoor products, but it speeds up the drying and curing time from 3 weeks to days. A terry cloth bonnet installed when possible ) around 50 %, and total preparation of the wood Whisperer,... Really advise to apply Rubio to our newly installed butcher block counter tops though 300-500. Are favorable ) Pure 2C for the website to rubio monocoat sanding to 220 properly try applying finish! Affiliate links that we will receive compensation from trademarks of the wood without drastically altering the tone good color seem.