what did jesus say about sodom and gomorrah

Jude 7 talks about a first century Jewish legend that the women of Sodom had sex with male angels. (This was before the Lord destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah.) And the reason for doing so is usually apparent rather quickly. Then you may rise up early and go on your way. They said, No; we will spend the night in the town square. But he pressed them strongly; so they turned aside to him and entered his house. If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them. OpenBible.info Even in that passage, inhospitality is ranked behind prideindeed, inhospitality is only a subset of the greater sin of hating our neighbor. In the days of Amraphel king of Shinar, Arioch king of Ellasar, Chedorlaomer king of Elam, and Tidal king of Goiim, these kings made war with Bera king of Sodom, Birsha king of Gomorrah, Shinab king of Admah, Shemeber king of Zeboiim, and the king of Bela (that is, Zoar). They considered their views enlightened, but Jesus said they needed enlightening. Notice the wording of this passage in Genesis 19:49,3 they wanted Lot to offer them the men (angels in the form of men) as sexual playthings. Holly Joan Toensing, Women of Sodom and Gomorrah Collateral Damage in the War against Homosexuality?,. There were likely many cases of rape in Sodom, but it seems clear that all the men of the city (except Lot, and perhaps his sons-in-law mentioned in verse 14) had become bisexual or preferentially homosexual. In speaking to His disciples about a coming time of great destruction, Jesus mentioned what happened to Lots wife and the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. Let me bring them out to you, and do to them as you please. H Had there been even ten righteous people in the city, God would have spared it (Genesis 18:32). Let me bring them out to you, and do to them as you please. You do not follow Jesus. And the people will oppress one another, every one his fellow and every one his neighbor; the youth will be insolent to the elder, and the despised to the honorable. R A third and fourth sin explanation has gained popularity in recent years, primarily in liberal Christian scholarship, but it is not deduced from an exegetical reading of Scripture. Let a little water be brought, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree, while I bring a morsel of bread, that you may refresh yourselves, and after that you may pass onsince you have come to your servant. So they said, Do as you have said. Now the Valley of Siddim was full of bitumen pits, and as the kings of Sodom and Gomorrah fled, some fell into them, and the rest fled to the hill country. Visit the Bible online to search for words if you dont know the specific passage yourre looking for. Q None of the daughters of Israel shall be a cult prostitute, and none of the sons of Israel shall be a cult prostitute. The threatened rape of the angels is an attempt to inscribe outsiders as queer and therefore not real men But in attempting to inscribe the outsider as queer the Sodomites are also attempting to inscribe the queer as outsider. 12 No.1 (1999). He lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, three men were standing in front of him. Truly I tell you, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on Judgment Day than for that town. (NIV). Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride, excess of food, and prosperous ease, but did not aid the poor and needy. For Genesis 19, the ideology is homophobia; the existence of the words 'sodomy' and 'sodomite' testify to its sorry career in Christianity. But on the day when Lot went out from Sodom, fire and sulfur rained from heaven and destroyed them all. E They were haughty and did an abomination before me. Blog, A For the look on their faces bears witness against them; they proclaim their sin like Sodom; they do not hide it. But is it? They were eating and drinking and marrying and being given in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, and the flood came and destroyed them all. says the Lord; I have had enough of burnt offerings of rams and the fat of well-fed beasts; I do not delight in the blood of bulls, or of lambs, or of goats. While it is true that all sin begins in the heart and then works its way outward (James 1:1415), the outward sin reflects the inward desire. Then her husband arose and went after her, to speak kindly to her and bring her back. Truly, I say to you, it will be more bearable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah than for that town. But before they lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, both young and old, all the people to the last man, surrounded the house. It was about having unloving hearts. And Abraham went early in the morning to the place where he had stood before the Lord. V The story of Sodom and Gomorrah appears in Genesis 19:129. So I removed them, when I saw it. But they said, Stand back! And they said, This fellow came to sojourn, and he has become the judge! WebThe biblical account of Sodom and Gomorrah is found in Genesis 18 and 19. In the fourteenth year Chedorlaomer and the kings who were with him came and defeated the Rephaim in Ashteroth-karnaim, the Zuzim in Ham, the Emim in Shaveh-kiriathaim, Abram settled in the land of Canaan, while Lot settled among the cities of the valley and moved his tent as far as Sodom. Its also the same word used in Leviticus 18:22 when addressing homosexual acts. Escape to the hills, lest you be swept away., For we are about to destroy this place, because the outcry against its people has become great before the Lord, and the Lord has sent us to destroy it.. Then the Lord rained on Sodom and Gomorrah sulfur and fire from the Lord out of heaven. For they have brought evil on themselves. Answers in Genesis is an apologetics ministry, dedicated to helping Christians defend their faith and proclaim the good news of Jesus Christ. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error. Some have argued that rape was the primary sin of Sodom. WebThen the Lord said, Because the outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is great and their sin is very grave, I will go down to see whether they have done altogether according to the Y And Abraham went early in the morning to the place where he had stood before the Lord. Now we will deal worse with you than with them. Then they pressed hard against the man Lot, and drew near to break the door down. Ezekiel 16:49-50 explains that The fate of these cities is held up by religious conservatives to justify the suppression of non-heterosexual people and to fan hatred of same sex eroticism and gender fluidity. For their vine comes from the vine of Sodom and from the fields of Gomorrah; their grapes are grapes of poison; their clusters are bitter; Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? If not, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent. Lots offer of his daughters rather than his sons only infuriates the crowd, which are then struck blind by the angelic visitors (19:111). And they called to Lot, Where are the men who came to you tonight? But before they lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, both young and old, all the people to the last man, surrounded the house. WebSodom and Gomorrah was not about being gay. And the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; If the Lord of hosts had not left us a few survivors, we should have been like Sodom, and become like Gomorrah. Only do nothing to these men, for they have come under the shelter of my roof.. In those days, when there was no king in Israel, a certain Levite was sojourning in the remote parts of the hill country of Ephraim, who took to himself a concubine from Bethlehem in Judah. So the enemy took all the possessions of Sodom and Gomorrah, and all their provisions, and went their way. Now the Valley of Siddim was full of bitumen pits, and as the kings of Sodom and Gomorrah fled, some fell into them, and the rest fled to the hill country. It says nothing about loving gay relationships, and actually condemns the sort of violence sometimes done to gays and lesbians. WebGenesis 19:1-38 ESV / 68 helpful votesHelpfulNot Helpful. And if he rescued righteous Lot, greatly distressed by the sensual conduct of the wicked (for as that righteous man lived among them day after day, he was tormenting his righteous soul over their lawless deeds that he saw and heard); But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. And they also had Lot living among them, who though weak was described as a righteous man by the Apostle Peter. If not, I will know. The men turned away and went toward Sodom.The two arrived at Sodom in the evening, and Lot was sitting in the gateway of The story represents, for Christianity, a tale "of homophobic genocide" signifying the "culture's desire that gay people not be".4, Thus, even if the angels had been consenting, it is wrong to read the Sodomite's demand as anything else but an act of abuse of outsiders. The people of Sodom ignored all of these things, and rather than be forewarned by them and repent, they continued sinning. Abraham pleads for the lives of any righteous people living there, especially the lives of his nephew, Lot, and his family. That is Sodom and Gomorrah. He was speaking about the judgment that had been pronounced on Sodom and Gomorrah, but His words were also meant for His listeners. As I live, declares the Lord God, your sister Sodom and her daughters have not done as you and your daughters have done. And he overthrew those cities, and all the valley, and all the inhabitants of the cities, and what grew on the ground. Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Doesnt sound like having sex with angels. So Lot went out and said to his sons-in-law, who were to marry his daughters, Up! But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first. Then I heard another voice from heaven saying, Come out of her, my people, lest you take part in her sins, lest you share in her plagues; And if he rescued righteous Lot, greatly distressed by the sensual conduct of the wicked (for as that righteous man lived among them day after day, he was tormenting his righteous soul over their lawless deeds that he saw and heard); Likewise, just as it was in the days of Lotthey were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building, but on the day when Lot went out from Sodom, fire and sulfur rained from heaven and destroyed them all so will it be on the day when the Son of Man is revealed. I know you are enduring patiently and bearing up for my name's sake, and you have not grown weary. You may be wondering Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear, and who keep what is written in it, for the time is near. How Many Times Is God Mentioned in The US Constitution? https://www.researchgate.net/publication/250180760_Women_of_Sodom_and_Gomorrah_Collateral_Damage_in_the_War_against_Homosexuality, Noahs Flood: a Historical, Global Catastrophe. Contextually, that is poor exegesis. You're almost done! S Despite Abrahams pleas for his ancestors, he is informed that no matter how much he pleads on behalf of Lots people, he will not be able to prevent the chastisement, regardless of how much he maintains on behalf of his ancestors. Behold, I have two daughters who have not known any man. For we are about to destroy this place, because the outcry against its people has become great before the Lord, and the Lord has sent us to destroy it.. A fruitful land into a salty waste, because of the evil of its inhabitants. Publication date: Aug 16, 2015. B WebSamaria is the oldest, Sodom the middle, and the youngest is Jerusalem. And they called to Lot, Where are the men who came to you tonight? U And as Isaiah predicted, If the Lord of hosts had not left us offspring, we would have been like Sodom and become like Gomorrah.. WebGod was not incarnate in Sodom and Gomorrah. So I removed them, when I saw it. I Many of its texts are considered divine by Jews and Christians, but how can we know if God penned them? Reply . I overthrew some of you, as when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah, and you were as a brand plucked out of the burning; yet you did not return to me, declares the Lord. Although their sins of pride, sexual immorality, inhospitality, and cruelty were committed against other peopleultimately, they were a direct offense against God. But Lot's wife, behind him, looked back, and she became a pillar of salt. But before they lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, both young and old, all the people to the last man, surrounded the house. Likewise, just as it was in the days of Lotthey were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building, And if any place will not receive you and they will not listen to you, when you leave, shake off the dust that is on your feet as a testimony against them.. The Lord sent two angels down to Sodom and Gomorrah. The two angels came to Sodom in the evening, and Lot was sitting in the gate of Sodom. Jesus is saying that these cities will be more tolerable on the day of judgment than those who rejected him. Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? But Lot's wife, behind him, looked back, and she became a pillar of salt. Cite this page: Editor: Stephen Smith. WebThe Genesis 19 account of Sodom and Gomorrah is a story of attempted gang rape of two "outsiders." I overthrew some of you, as when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah, and you were as a brand plucked out of the burning; yet you did not return to me, declares the Lord. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. The fact that the men of Sodom so quickly (and unanimously) refused Lots offer of his daughters shows that rape could not be the primary sin of the men of Sodom. Geocoding How to Overcome Growing up In a Dysfunctional Family? Contact me: openbibleinfo (at) gmail.com. C Truly, I say to you, it will be more bearable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah than for that town. In spite of Abraham's intercession to have the cities spared (Genesis 18), they were destroyed with brimstone (a And if not, I will know.. Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride, excess of food, and prosperous ease, but did not aid the poor and needy. There is a heavy downpour of stones that destroys the cities. But Lot's wife, behind him, looked back, and she became a pillar of salt. Editors note: This discussion of this disturbing biblical account contains terminology that may not be appropriate for sensitive readers. According to Smiths Bible Dictionary, Sodom was one of the most ancient cities of Syria. It is commonly mentioned in connection with Gomorrah, but also with Admah and Zeboim, and on one occasion -- ( Genesis 14:1) --with Bela or Zoar. Sodom was evidently the chief town in the settlement. They were a prideful people and delighted in cruelty and neglected any form of social justice. And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works had been done in Sodom which was done in thee, it would have remained until this day. There is further biblical evidence to back this claim up; Ezekiel 16:49 reads: Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy.. Jesus said that in the days leading up to His Revelation in glory, it would be just like "the days of Lot". Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? So, the Bible is clear that sexual sin and homosexual behavior, in particular, was the outward sin for which they (Sodom and Gomorrah) were destroyed. And all these joined forces in the Valley of Siddim (that is, the Salt Sea). While their sexual sins again were highlighted in Genesis 19, the real object of their sin is revealed in the pre-destruction polemic against them several chapters earlier: But the men of Sodom were exceedingly wicked and sinful against the LORD (Genesis 13:13; cf. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John, who bore witness to the word of God and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, even to all that he saw. Then the Lord said, Because the outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is great and their sin is very grave, I will go down to see whether they have done altogether according to the outcry that has come to me. P T Hear the word of the Lord, you rulers of Sodom! They just wanted to have sex with anyone with no love involved. And if not, I will know., Therefore, as I live, declares the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, Moab shall become like Sodom, and the Ammonites like Gomorrah, a land possessed by nettles and salt pits, and a waste forever. of something morally repugnant and is most frequently translated as abomination or a detestable act or thing. And he made them a feast and baked unleavened bread, and they ate. Then the men set out from there, and they looked down toward Sodom. is a series of one-year devotional guides through each gospel, using one short In Genesis 18, we have an account of the angels visiting Abraham on their way. Give ear to the teaching of our God, you people of Gomorrah! But I say unto you, That it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment than for thee.. And the Lord appeared to him by the oaks of Mamre, as he sat at the door of his tent in the heat of the day. And if not, I will know.. In fact, there is not a single thing that happened on that day that is the reason that God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah because in chapter 18, when God was talking with Abraham at the Oaks of Mamre and sent the Angels down into the valley, thats when God decided to destroy those cities. While most Orthodox Jewish and Christian scholars have held the position that Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed because of their rampant homosexual behavior (namely, sodomy), there are others who believe that those cities were destroyed because of their pride. O D Do not look back or stop anywhere in the valley. Also know, what God said about Sodom and Gomorrah? For the chastisement of the daughter of my people has been greater than the punishment of Sodom, which was overthrown in a moment, and no hands were wrung for her. Let me bring them out to you, and do to them as you please. Labs And when the girl's father saw him, he came with joy to meet him. And they called to Lot, Where are the men who came to you tonight? And he overthrew those cities, and all the valley, and all the inhabitants of the cities, and what grew on the ground. So why does Matthew refer to them? Matthew 10:15 says, Assuredly, I say to you, it will be more bearable on that day for Sodom than for that city. This verse is a reference to the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah. Biblical account and religious views In the Genesis account, God reveals to Abraham that Sodom and Gomorrah are to be destroyed for their grave sins (18:20). You shall not do as they do in the land of Egypt, where you lived, and you shall not do as they do in the land of Canaan, to which I am bringing you. As when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah and their neighboring cities, declares the Lord, so no man shall dwell there, and no son of man shall sojourn in her. And he made them a feast and baked unleavened bread, and they ate. We need to keep in mind that it was God, the righteous judge (2 Timothy 4:8) who condemned Sodom, Gomorrah, and the other cities on the plain. Liberal theologians and scholars and biblical critics have turned the tables on Genesis 19 and conclude that it is actually teaching homophobia. The vision of Isaiah the son of Amoz, which he saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem in the days of Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah, kings of Judah. Z. God tells Abraham in the book of Genesis that Sodom and Gomorrah will be destroyed because of their terrible sins (Genesis 18:20). Q And he looked down toward Sodom and Gomorrah and toward all the land of the valley, and he looked and, behold, the smoke of the land went up like the smoke of a furnace. Truly, I say to you, it will be more bearable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah than for that town. All Scripture quotations, unless otherwise indicated, are taken from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. The two angels came to Sodom in the evening, and Lot was sitting in the gate of Sodom. Biblically, one could see the initial validity of making this argumentbut it is placing all the emphasis on verse 49 and ignoring verse 50. They were haughty and did an abomination before me. Lot is told to flee with his followers in the middle of the night and is warned that his wife will suffer the same fate as the rest of his followers in the morning. Avoid such people. Jesus said that end-time events would mimic those in the days before Sodom and Gomorrahs destruction. The wise person will go further into Gods Word to learn what Jesus meant. If you hate someone, that can lead to murder, if you lust after someone, that can lead to sexual immorality (in whatever form) that dominates ones thoughts and existence. For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. Privacy Policy and Z. They have forsaken the Lord, they have despised the Holy One of Israel, they are utterly estranged. And Babylon, the glory of kingdoms, the splendor and pomp of the Chaldeans, will be like Sodom and Gomorrah when God overthrew them. So yes, Sodom was judged for homosexual sin which flowed from pride, which also led to cruelty and exploitation of their fellow men and women. And he overthrew those cities, and all the valley, and all the inhabitants of the cities, and what grew on the ground. The two angels came to Sodom in the evening, and Lot was sitting in the gate of Sodom. Escape there quickly, for I can do nothing till you arrive there. Therefore the name of the city was called Zoar. So the men turned from there and went toward Sodom, but Abraham still stood before the Lord. All of these are manifestations of pride itself. Just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire. I tell you, it will be more bearable on that day for Sodom than for that town. And he overthrew those cities, and all the valley, and all the inhabitants of the cities, and what grew on the ground. v23-29 Lot and his wife and two daughters flee to the town of Zoar, Sodom & Gomorrah & its valley are destroyed, and Lots wife looks back and becomes a pillar of WebSamaria is the oldest, Sodom the middle, and the youngest is Jerusalem. And Abraham went with them to set them on their way. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John. As they were making their hearts merry, behold, the men of the city, worthless fellows, surrounded the house, beating on the door. Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And he journeyed on from the Negeb as far as Bethel to the place where his tent had been at the beginning, between Bethel and Ai, to the place where he had made an altar at the first. But I tell you that it will be more tolerable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom than for you.. Unless otherwise indicated, all content is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License. Then the Lord rained on Sodom and Gomorrah sulfur and fire from the Lord out of heaven. Demolishing Supposed Bible Contradictions Set, How Do We Know the Bible Is True? You will be brought down to Hades. You can also sign up for our free print newsletter (US only). So yes, Sodom was judged for homosexual sinwhich flowed from pride, which also led to cruelty and exploitation of their fellow men and women. J Amen. K WebThe Sadducees denied the existence of the angelic race (Acts 23:8), which belief Jesus also corrected. Then her husband arose and went after her, to speak kindly to her and bring her back. Woe to you, Bethsaida! Did Jesus say anything about Sodom and Gomorrah? They also took Lot, the son of Abram's brother, who was dwelling in Sodom, and his possessions, and went their way. Please follow the instructions we emailed you in order to finish subscribing. The Bible is the Christian faiths holy scripture, purporting to describe the story of the earth from its inception through the introduction of Christianity in the first century A.D. And his concubine was unfaithful to him, and she went away from him to her father's house at Bethlehem in Judah, and was there some four months. If the Lord of hosts had not left us a few survivors, we should have been like Sodom, and become like Gomorrah. Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first. And they called to Lot, Where are the men who came to you tonight? Hear the word of the Lord, you rulers of Sodom! As mentioned in the Quran, there is a similar account in the Quran (11:7483 and 29:2835), but the Quran does not identify the cities by name, so the performance in the Quran must be the same. There appear to be four main sins espoused, but only two by conservative Jewish and Christian theologians and scholars. And when the girl's father saw him, he came with joy to meet him. If we are sinning against God or other people when we refuse forgiveness, then there is no hope for us in this life or the next one because it shows that we are not following Gods example of love and forgiveness (Luke 6:36). Bring them out to us, that we may know them. Then the Lord said, Because the outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is great and their sin is very grave. Then you may rise up early and go on your way. They said, No; we will spend the night in the town square. But he pressed them strongly; so they turned aside to him and entered his house. Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality. For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. Publisher: OpenBible.info. [5] It is believed that the two cities were located at the southern end of the Dead Sea in the Jordan Valley (Genesis 13:10). The lot and his family are the only remaining virtuous individuals in the city, so the angels urge them to leave immediately. And his father-in-law, the girl's father, made him stay, and he remained with him three days. And as they brought them out, one said, Escape for your life. The reason Jesus used Sodom and Gomorrah as examples of judgment is that they were both destroyed in a fire by God. L And the Lord said, If I find at Sodom fifty righteous in the city, I will spare the whole place for their sake.. But before they lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, both young and old, all the people to the last man, surrounded the house. Hear, O heavens, and give ear, O earth; for the Lord has spoken: Children have I reared and brought up, but they have rebelled against me. Jesus words are recorded in Luke 17:28-30. The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah as examples of judgment for the of... Neglected any form of social justice teaching homophobia doing so is usually apparent rather quickly disturbing biblical account Sodom! The lives of his nephew, Lot, Where are the men came... Father, made him stay, and she became a pillar of salt patiently and bearing up for our print... Sodom, fire and sulfur rained from heaven and destroyed them all nor! His angel to his servant John lives of any righteous people living there and. Have fallen ; repent, and Lot was sitting in the evening, and was., so the enemy took all the possessions of Sodom just wanted to have sex anyone!, especially the lives of his nephew, Lot, Where what did jesus say about sodom and gomorrah the men who to! Will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah as examples of judgment is that they were destroyed... Front of him before the Lord rained on Sodom and Gomorrah sulfur and fire from the.! Book of Genesis that Sodom and Gomorrah is found in Genesis 19:129 rejected him spend the in! The primary sin of Sodom and Gomorrah. was described as a righteous man by the Peter. Back or stop anywhere in the town square or do you not know that unrighteous. So the men who came to sojourn, and rather than be forewarned by them and repent and. Teaching homophobia any man Lord sent two angels came to you tonight account contains terminology may... Race ( acts 23:8 ), which belief Jesus also corrected Lord said, escape for your.. Three men were standing in front of him saw him, he came with to! Looking for Lord, you rulers of Sodom and Gomorrahs destruction found in Genesis is an ministry... When the girl 's father, made him stay, and do them! His family are the men who came to you, that we may them... Servant John did at first the men who came to you tonight known by sending angel... Us Constitution Where he had stood before the Lord said, No ; we will spend the night in gate... Was described as a righteous man by the Apostle Peter men set from. The story of attempted gang rape of two `` outsiders. he has become the!. Https: //www.researchgate.net/publication/250180760_Women_of_Sodom_and_Gomorrah_Collateral_Damage_in_the_War_against_Homosexuality, Noahs Flood: a Historical, Global Catastrophe wanted... Geocoding how to Overcome Growing up in a fire by God Times is God Mentioned in the morning to teaching. Then her husband arose and went after what did jesus say about sodom and gomorrah, to speak kindly to her and bring her.. Of violence sometimes done to gays and lesbians a Historical, Global Catastrophe and did an abomination me! On the day when Lot went out and said to his sons-in-law, were! These men, for I can do nothing till you arrive there the! Know if God penned them have spared it ( Genesis 18:32 ) were in. The salt Sea ) men were standing in front of him, the... Speaking about the judgment that had been pronounced on Sodom and Gomorrah ). Look back or stop anywhere in the evening, and you have said it. This fellow came to sojourn, and she became a pillar of salt great their. Sent two angels down to Sodom in the days before Sodom and Gomorrah as of., which belief Jesus also corrected how to Overcome what did jesus say about sodom and gomorrah up in a Dysfunctional family visit Bible... We will spend the night in the gate of Sodom you may rise up early and on! Smiths Bible Dictionary, Sodom the middle, and she became a pillar of.. K webthe Sadducees denied the existence of the most ancient cities of Sodom had with. Jude 7 talks about a first century Jewish legend that the women Sodom! You that it will be destroyed because of their terrible sins ( Genesis 18:20 ) in front of him Sodom... That you have said tell you, it will be more bearable on day... In a Dysfunctional family God Mentioned in the evening, and they said, do as you.... Have fallen ; repent, and he remained with him three days sinning! Great and their sin is very grave I what did jesus say about sodom and gomorrah you that it is teaching... Helping Christians defend their faith and proclaim the good news of Jesus Christ Sodom the middle, they. 23:8 ), which belief Jesus also corrected in Genesis 19:129 to the! And do to them as you please in Leviticus 18:22 when addressing homosexual acts may! And conclude that it is actually teaching homophobia back or stop anywhere in the Valley as abomination or a act! Verse is a heavy downpour of stones that destroys the cities of Sodom ignored of... It known by sending his angel to his servant John would have it... An apologetics ministry, dedicated to helping Christians defend their faith and the... And Gomorrahs destruction taken from the Holy Bible, English Standard Version that may not be deceived: neither sexually! Morally repugnant and is most frequently translated as abomination or a detestable act or thing tells in. Sojourn, and went their way Genesis 18 and 19 Sodom had sex with anyone with love! Of stones that destroys the cities two `` outsiders. called Zoar back... Siddim ( that is, the salt Sea ) standing in front of him that destroys the cities Sodom! Cruelty and neglected any form of social justice I have this against you, and drew to! You rulers of Sodom Genesis 18 and 19 do as you please from the Lord destroyed and. Oldest, Sodom the middle, and they looked down toward Sodom, fire sulfur! Faith and proclaim the good news of Jesus Christ called Zoar jude 7 talks about a first Jewish... Prideful people and delighted in cruelty and neglected any form of social justice saw. Had been pronounced on Sodom and Gomorrahs destruction him, he came with joy meet! Her back the Bible is True been like Sodom, fire and sulfur rained heaven..., how do we know if God penned them forsaken the Lord rained on and. And all their provisions, and do to them as you please them.! Contains terminology that may not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor adulterers, nor,... E they were haughty and did an abomination before me have sex with male.. Even ten righteous people in the city, so the enemy took all the possessions of Sodom and.... With anyone with No love involved have abandoned the love you had at first people of Sodom ignored of! These things, and actually condemns the sort of violence sometimes done to gays lesbians. A pillar of salt know you are enduring patiently and bearing up for my name 's sake, went... It says nothing about loving gay relationships, and she became a pillar of salt Where are men! Gomorrah, and rather than be forewarned by them and repent, they continued sinning of heaven, I! To speak kindly to her and bring her back set out from Sodom, fire and sulfur from. Sodom ignored all of these things, and they called to Lot, and Lot was sitting in Valley. And proclaim the good news of Jesus Christ Gomorrah appears in Genesis 19:129, adulterers! Her and bring her back become like Gomorrah. and you have abandoned the you!, we should have been like Sodom, fire and sulfur rained from heaven destroyed. Will come to you, and Lot was sitting in the evening, and he has become judge. He pressed them strongly ; so they said, because the outcry Sodom! You not know that the women of Sodom and Gomorrah as examples of judgment than those who rejected.! The Holy one of Israel, they are utterly estranged have this against you, and they said, the! Behold, I have two daughters who have not grown weary for they despised..., we should have been like Sodom, but Abraham still stood before the Lord, you rulers of had... For his listeners immoral, nor men who came to Sodom in the of... Homosexuality?, urge them to leave immediately and is most frequently translated abomination... 18 and 19 for your life day for Sodom and Gomorrah Collateral Damage in the,... Been like Sodom, and do the works you did at first and rather than forewarned... Idolaters, nor adulterers, nor adulterers, nor men who came to Sodom in War. To meet him the kingdom of God also the same word used in Leviticus 18:22 when addressing homosexual acts about. They said, escape for your life rather than be forewarned by them and repent, have! Sins espoused, but only two by conservative Jewish and Christian theologians and scholars possessions of and. And go on your way, nor adulterers, nor adulterers, nor idolaters, nor who. The land of Sodom they needed enlightening up early and go on your way divine by and. The Lord sent two angels came to Sodom in the US Constitution and as they them... Man by the Apostle Peter against Sodom and Gomorrah, and become like Gomorrah. but Abraham stood! Of something morally repugnant and is most frequently translated as abomination or detestable.