what years did it snow in houston

Hey gang, I didnt see anything mentioned about the Snow we received in February, 1960. My Dad was a great skater! But now, it is snowing over there. :-) Thanks for the posted comment. From the Feburary 13, 1960, Houston Post: Snow-covered lot produces a wintry scene. I guess time will tell. . Those pics are amazing, even of the snowman, and when you were younger. HOUSTON (AP) A man charged in a fatal road rage shooting of a teenager as he and his family drove home from a Houston Astros game in 2021 has been sentenced to 30 years in prison . Well have more for you in the morning. The date above was another unusual but fun day! It snowed here in Arlington last Wednesday! Aint revealing which one is me. So my colleagues and took our break at the hill. You are correctit was 100 km/h not 100 mph. In January 2011 he allegedly wrote: "I have had VS [visual snow] since september 21st of 2009. As to beautiful evergreens laden with snowI well remember those days when living in Wisconsin. It is TRULY an occasion when it happens down here in the south because of its rarity. KVIA. LOL Thanks for the comment. Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on December 11, 2017: From what you wrote, you must love seeing snow. I'll share some of them below. Bosscat, As the countrys fourth largest airport system, the Houston Airport System serves over 180 cities worldwide, with Bush Intercontinental Airport ranking third in the United, The amount of rain in March is normal with an average of 86mm (3.4in). When did it last snow in Houston? Now i hope there wont be anymore complaining on this board when we get highs in the 80s and low in the 70s and its cloudy and humid. Those patterns were so pretty! Texas is known for being hot, really hot. The 4.4 inches were the highest amount of snow in Houston since the record-setting storm of 1895, which dumped a whopping 20 inches of snow in Houston on Valentine's Day. 19 Do Austin Texas have a beach? Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on December 05, 2009: Glad that you got to see those thick and large snow flurries. Now let's take a look at a similar sounding for Hobby Airport, again with the freezing line highlighted. Meanwhile, temperatures soared to 76 in Nashville, Tennessee, and to 73 in Oklahoma City and set records that same day in 2016, Sosnowski said. Snow returns after 34-year absence It would be more than 30 years before Houston saw a decent amount of snow again. It is a thrill to see snow in Houston because it is so very rare. Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on December 06, 2009: Yes, the snow was a surprise event all right. The biggest snow during that time period came on Dec. 10, 2008, when 1.4 inches of snow was recorded. 3.0 mi. HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) Snow in Houston doesn't happen every winter, but it does happen. Will be thinking of you up there in Canada. :-). Thomas James from London on February 20, 2015: Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on January 24, 2014: Just start writing and hone your skills. Winter is also the driest part of the year for Houston. My mother and I had some fun talking about our childhood memories of enjoying the snow when we lived in Wisconsin. We all know that snowy weather is also notoriously cuddle weather - or so we've heard. But ultimately, whether it really can join the ranks of a 1989 or 1983 or 1899 will depend on just how cold it gets Tuesday morning. Where is the best weather in Texas to live? Good luck! Its bad in the sense that were likely to endure a longer stretch of temperatures in the mid-20s or colder. I admit I didnt imagine it would get colder than Jan 2018. Without central heating I can remember waking up to frost patterns on the inside of the windows in the winter here in the UK whan I was a child. 02/12/2021 By Dianna Wray. Here's my front fl. The suspect in the Jan. 5 robbery . Having lived in PA you will have memories of the snow that will be lasting, I am sure. when did it snow in houston 2017: snow in houston 2019: snow in houston history: has it ever snowed in houston texas: houston winter 2017-2018: houston weather december 2017: will it snow in houston 2018: snow in texas 2019: snow in texas this week: texas snow cones: waco texas snow: snow in texas 2018: does it snow in texas austin: snow in . We may have to wait a while before we enjoy truly cooler temperatures in parts of Texas. Here are some of the major Houston snow events we dug up in our archives: In the winter of 1973, it snowed three times, dropping 2 inches on Jan. 11, 1.4 inches on Feb. 9-10, and 1.4 inches on Feb. 17-18. No one knows how to drive in the snow down here, and for sure, not icy roads! The Texas grid is designed for freezing temps in Dallas which moderate as temps in Houston freeze. 58 years ago this week Houston got four inches of snow just before Valentine's Day. I will treasure those. Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on August 30, 2015: I was living in Houston in the 1970's when we had that most unusual snowstorm that you also experienced in Galveston. I am glad to have experienced snow as a child but am glad that I no longer have to worry about driving on snowy and especially icy roads now. 15 Poorest. This area suffers droughts, floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, and at times an occasional dose of winter weather. That year, it froze everywhere. Video sent to Houston ABC station KTRK showed kids running out to greet the big, wet flakes. (living in Houston thats a good thing), Holy Cow! Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on December 07, 2009: Thanks for the metric conversion. The Marvel star had been hospitalized since New Year's Day . We closed the month with 11 straight mornings below freezing, including four full days that failed to crack above 32 degrees. Answer (1 of 21): I've lived in Houston since 1979. It was fun to see the gorgeous large flakes falling and briefly blanketing the rooftops, grass and other things. Age and gravity has taken its expected toll. We didn't get any snow this year and the winter has been quite mild compared to recent years. For municipal workers, overtime. There were more incidences of snow in the 1980s on average than any other decade recorded, but the 2000s also witnessed . Latest on the coaching search, What it took to bring the Final Four to Houston, Tornado Watch issued for several Houston area counties. But the most memorable snowfall in recent memory could arguably be from December 2017, when a city still recovering from Hurricane Harvey saw its first measurable snow in eight years. Nights at or below freezing: 12 over 2 weeks. Its good, however, in the sense that this might lead to more sleet (or snow) and less freezing rain. We can all appreciate the inconveniences that must have presentedbut everyone that has ever seen new fallen snow can also appreciate the beauty that it would have presented. Great hub and great day! 1850s. So lets look back at some other memorable Houston cold snaps through the years. J Beadle from Wisconsin on December 16, 2009: It looks like spring there!!! Sandra Mireles from Texas on December 06, 2009: This is a great look at our snow day! Hope it happens again for you Pegg. Still it was the wet snow kind due to time of year and this is the best type to make a snowman. All but one were mere dustings. The closest the Houston metropolitan area came to a white Christmas occurred on December 22, 1989 when 1.7 inches of snow fell at Intercontinental Airport. James A Watkins from Chicago on December 13, 2009: I loved your Hub, Peg. Ha! We were a little iffy about giving our names to the photographer but figured the guy who signed our paychecks wouldnt mind if the museums name was in the paper. Who have the Texans interviewed for head coach? Find historical weather data by zip code and access weather archives from more than 1,300 stations across the United States and Canada, dating back to 1960. According to an MSNBC source, Houston has only experienced snow falling thirty-three times since 1895, so one must realize with a statistic like that just how rare an occasion it is to see snow. Happy to hear that you enjoyed this snow in Houston, Texas hub. My Dad would shovel a large circle on the frozen lake where my grandmother lived, and we would all go ice skating several times in the winter. Looking at the link, you not only have snow but 100 mile an hour winds; power outages, etc. In any case it is very early -- in St. John's we sometimes even have green Christmases, in fact. For the first time ever, some areas experienced their first white Christmas. What a treat the snowfall was for you all there such a thrill there for you. Tomorrow is another day to get back into the groove. Thank you. Dallas gets snow and ice much more often than we do in Houston. In northern Texas, however, the National Weather Service has not recorded any snow or ice events since February 2011. On Dec. 25, 2016, Dallas reached 80 degrees, which broke the record for warmest Christmas Day on record in the city. Houston Museum of Natural Science, not natural history. Actually your creative wrniitg abilities has inspired me to get my own blog going now. Houston - Lowest Temperature for Each Year. Nothing quite like it! The joke was they would call out the military except they closed down as well. on December 06, 2009: What a great day 4th December was for you all in Houston, We don't get snow in this part of Australia where we live. Of course, Houstonians now are so used to snow after these past few months that younger kids might think it's rather normal. And all this makes him sad, very, very sad.. The most significantly wintry years were 1886, when Galveston Bay froze, and 1895, when the island received a whopping snowfall of 15.4 inches. The effect when gazing out of our windows is the same. One Hundred Years of Southeast Texas Weather (1900-2000) Southeast Texas endures a variety of weather every year. Businesses in Houston, Texas rely on accurate snowfall record-keeping to plan for the most extreme conditions during the winter. RELATED:The bars and restaurants in Houston with the oldest TABC liquor licenses. Other outdoor activities included sledding, tobogganing, and ice skating. C E Clark from North Texas on September 16, 2015: Another article I'm seeing for the first time! More like the winters I was used to for over 20 years before those cold winters got here. 12AM 3AM 6AM 9AM 12PM 3PM 6PM 9PM 12AM 50. I loved the snow fields. Official Snowfall Records for Houston, Texas, Official Snowfall Records for Amarillo, Texas, Official Snowfall Records for Wichita Falls, Texas, Official Snowfall Records for Lubbock, Texas, Official Snowfall Records for Abilene, Texas, Official Snowfall Records for Midland, Texas, Official Snowfall Records for El Paso, Texas, Official Snowfall Records for Austin, Texas, Official Snowfall Records for San Antonio, Texas, Official Snowfall Records for Brownsville, Texas. I was remembering playing with my two younger brothers. What year did it snow on Christmas Day in Houston? ManlyPoetryMan from (Texas) Boldly Writing Poems Where No Man Has Gone Before on December 05, 2009: Let it SNOWHouston StyleYeehaa! But hey, you can always crank the A/C in the house and pretend. Glad to know it is over. The 1940 cold snap came with snow on January 22nd, with up to 3 inches reported from Houston into southern Louisiana and more elsewhere in the states. I cant ever find the data to back up my recollection, although your above description of January 1978 could be what Im remembering, but I really remember it as a December event, right around Christmas. By month, 35 percent of all Houston snowfalls happened in February, 32 percent in January and 30 percent in December. Have never visited there but would like to change that situation someday. In pantheon of modern Houston cold snaps, December 1989 is front and center. After dressing the snowman, we got to enjoy him for a long time as the Wisconsin winters were very friendly to keeping snowmen intact for long periods. It hardly ever happens. So let's look back at some other memorable Houston cold snaps through the years. After our company departed to go back home, we continued to watch the snowfall, although it was starting to diminish in intensity. (For the record, the all-time low was 18, in 1983. Impressive, but probably not historic. The snow in Houston, Texas definitely slowed things down whether people appreciated it or not. It feels like it is 4 degrees outside! If the forecast high of 80 degrees verifies on Christmas Day, 2021 will be the second warmest Christmas on record. HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) Snow in Houston doesn't happen every winter, but it does happen. before we see more snow. But you may not know . In that case you would love our northern states in the wintertime! At least we made it, though. Year Selection Submit. = 2.2cm). Lovely hub. (: C E Clark from North Texas on February 16, 2016: Came back to share this great article! Greatest Amount of Snow in One Day, 4.4in. 2023 The Arena Media Brands, LLC and respective content providers on this website. Yes, but it's true! Happy you enjoyed reading this and thanks for leaving a comment. Most unusual, but fun. Ziaullah Khan from Pakistan on December 11, 2017: Beautiful - Very fascinating , I am in love it . The snow patterns are irregular, and the most recent one was in February of 2021, although winter did not hit Houston as hard as it did in other parts of the US. Really blogging is spreading its wings and growing fast. I agree with you that the snow is spectacularly beautiful when new and unsullied by footprints, car tracks, etc. I dont know how many remember him now, but its cold snaps like this that really make me miss my old friend Doug Johnson, the weatherman on KPRC-TV Channel 2. Ha! About 30 percent of winters in Corpus Christi have measurable snow or ice, according to the NWS. Matt, The citys December snowfall average is 11.5 inches and the snowiest Christmas on record occurred in 1945 with a snowfall total of 9.6 inches. Thanks for the comment. It does seem that we go from HOT, HOT, HOT to COLD, COLD, COLD these days with little in between. Rochelle Frank from California Gold Country on December 06, 2009: We are bracing for a pretty big snowstorm here tonight and tomorrow-- predicted to be between 8- 12 inches. I lived in Denver and conditions were brutal there as they pretty well were anywhere east of the Rockies. Average household, Typically, a band sets an amount of time to be on the road, and booking agents try to match cities and venues to those dates,, Cities near Houston within 1 hour 59 minutes: Galveston 31 minutes: Baytown (Texas) 32 minutes: Katy 50 minutes: Sealy 28 minutes: Spring What cities are. That tied the dates record low, which was originally set way back in 1895. Weather. January 1951 started off quite mild with 14 days in the 70s. 1.) I used to have relatives living in New Jersey. Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on October 31, 2011: I know according to the news that the New England states have been blasted with snow and so early in the season. Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on August 06, 2010: Snow in Houston also brings out excitement and joy for many of us older than those little ones. This is both good and bad. That really reminded me of the days gone by as a former Jersey Girl! We are buried here, which is good for Christmas but we won't see grass again until March or April. But you may not know a new record was set just last year when trace amounts of snow fell Nov. 13, 2018, making it the earliest observed snow on record. Last night on Valentine's Day, sleet mixed with snow started falling. Photo taken at Sonny Look's on Quitman. Snow in February. It is so fun to watch the kids and the dog on the first day of snowfall, but it certainly gets old by April! Who knows, maybe a few older Gen-Xers around these parts owe their very existence to those four inches of snow 58 years ago. Snow falls on traffic at Main St. and Prairie in downtown Houston, February 1960. United States snow records can be found by reviewing the snowfall records of over 200 cities. Greatest Amount of Snow in Three Days. Great memories for a great hub, Peggy. While snow in Houston doesn't happen every winter, it does indeed happen. It becomes a big event if and when it happens. Dallas was plagued with cold and wintry weather as well, marring the 2011 Super Bowl. The snow might not be so bad if it just melted the next day!!! But as hard as it is to believe, the Weather Research Center shows Houston has quite the snow-filled history, dating back all the way to Valentine's Day in 1895 where Space City saw 20 inches of snow. In fact, most everyone in our subdivision got new roofs put on their homes that year. What was amazing about the weather in Houston, Texas, during the last several weeks is that the temperatures have gone from the ridiculous to the sub-zero (feels like) - 100+ degrees for several months to the high 40's seemingly overnight. We have some that bloom several times a year and have had them in bloom all winter thus far. Brittney Griner surprises fans at MLK Day fest, 'Absolutely': Why Sean Payton is open to taking Texans HC job, What C.J. I didn't check -- still though). Contents1 Has Houston ever had snow?2 On what year did it last snow in Houston Texas on Christmas [] Thanks for reading this bit about the unusual snow day in Houston, Texas and leaving a comment. Driving skills become honed after a while. By New Year's Eve we were back to beautiful muggy Houston. This was the view at Lamar Avenue and Chenevert Street. Actor Jeremy Renner tweeted he is home from the hospital more than two weeks after he was crushed in a snowplow accident. (Were the winds not 100 km/h rather than 100 mph? The snowman shown here was in our subdivision about five houses away from where we live. Peggy Woods (author) from Houston, Texas on December 09, 2017: You are correct. Our AC units are really humming that time of year! The earliest accumulating snow in Houston is December 4th, 2009. . The record for warmest Christmas was set in 1955 at 88 degrees. Most of the snow melted before it hit the ground, but it was magical nevertheless. I was here for the 1983 Christmas cold snap. December 23: 7 I had forgotten about that! Meteorologists gave us another update as to freezing precipitation in Houston on the date above. It does not happen in Houston and the surrounding area all that often! Thanks for your compilation. Example video title will go here for this video. It seems colder air may push in here a little faster on Sunday night and Monday morning. Although, 1973 saw four days of snow in Houston between January and February. A winter wonderland was ours to enjoy for a rare moment in time. All Rights Reserved. Thanks for your comment. It was a massive storm that dropped snow from Tampico, Mexico, to . So that means you got about 9 inches of snow on the ground. Like Tom, I missed the 2004 snowfall, which was the best, because I was out of town. So pretty and so much fun for children of all ages! 18 What kind of weather is in Austin Texas? Try and stay warm! The roads will ice up tonight from the moisture, and accidents were already occurring and reported on the 6 PM newscasts tonight. 8 to 12 inches is a good snowstorm indeed. Good times! Too bad that you have never seen snow falling or the effect in person. Hey! I remember driving down the street and and seeing water coming under the front doors of MANY homes and heading out to the street. 2.) At least you can enjoy the pristine whiteness of pictures of snow. In the Houston Chronicle front page, last year featured a snowman on the beaches in Galveston. 20 Do you . Time/General. Thanks for adding that memory to this hub. This content is accurate and true to the best of the authors knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional. The news channels on television this evening broadcast snow photos sent in from viewers. 2021/2022. First, there is a real chance that there could be some freezing drizzle or light freezing rain overnight tonight and Sunday morning. Notice the grass devoid of most of the snow? Five days after hitting 15 degrees, we were back up near 70, so further proof it wont stay cold forever! No one is talking about it for some reason, but it clogged up the city. But it was exciting to see for those of us living where we rarely get to see a snowflake, much less an accumulation of snow! Probability (%) of having Snow on the Ground of at least 1 inch deep or Snowfall of at least 0.1 inches on December 25.Chances of Snow for Christmas at USA Cities. It was a massive storm that dropped snow from Tampico, Mexico, to Pensacola, Florida, and set records in New Orleans and Alabama. I actually remember forecasting this and it being a really good lesson in the challenges of forecasting winter weather in the South. WHEN YOU'RE TRYING TO HAVE A HIBACHI PARTY AND THEN.. | LOL he did not want . Coldest temperature: 21 on 1/20 February 13, 1960. Well weren't you the cutest thing? Snow has fallen the week earlier than and the week after the vacation but never on the twenty fifth. Thanks for reading and leaving your interesting comment. 2020/2021. And that was the warm up. But it didn't stick on the roads :( We are expected to get a wet winter, did you hear that earlier in the year? In addition to the cold, what is likely the worst ice storm in city history led to serious damage and disruption. So many happy tears#houston #htx #houstontx #houstontexas #houstontexans #houstonrockets #HolidayOREOke #texas #houstonrealestate #houstonfood #houstonhairstylist #tx #galveston #katytx #cypresstx #riveroak". This was surely a banner year for snowplow contractors! We wonder if there was a baby boom nine . Thanks for commenting on my Wow! Hi Peggy, I just moved from Pa back to my home in Florida, so there will be no snow for me. I sense that Houston is in for a mighty cold winter this time around Oyewole Folarin from Lagos on October 29, 2011: It's fun seeing snow outside. It is such a rarity here in Houston! Grein of San Antonio and Mrs. W.C. Magee of 347 Zoe. Much of Texas is under a winter storm warning. A weather service observation station in Rio Grande Village in Texas recorded a high temperature of 94 degrees on Saturday, Christmas Day. As hard as it is to believe, the Weather Research Center shows Houston has quite the snow-filled history, dating back all the way to Valentine's Day in 1895 where Space City saw 20 inches of snow. Zip code: 77020. Our parents would also join in playing with us occasionally. Mighty close. Schools closed, and most people were to stay at home unless truly necessary to be out and traveling the roads. Nothing quite like snow covered grounds, trees, houses and "Jack Frost" decorating the windows with patterns of infinite design. Between two days in 1895, Feb. 14 and 15, Houston would see about 20 inches of snow fall. Thanks for your comemnt. Between crop losses and other damage, the cold of December 1989 was estimated at the time to cause $300 to $500 million in damage (up to $1 billion in 2021 dollars) in Southeast and Coastal Texas, according to NOAAs December 1989 StormData publication. Yes, Corpus Christi was covered in white for the first time in 13 years, almost 3 months day for day after being struck by Hurricane Harvey.After 8 years of rest, 1 - 1.5 inches of snow were measured at Houston-Galveston NWS office. The snow event in Houston is now history except for a few melting snowmen. Coldest temperature: 7 on 12/23 Clear. In my mind, that was the coldest it could get here but we are going well beyond that right now. BELIEVE ITSNOW IN HOUSTON, TEXAS and quite an accumulation considering the place! Then people remember what they learned from previous years. Sleet covering our frost blankets and roof tops. The actual air temperature recorded at George Bush Intercontinental Airport on the morning of Feb. 16 was 13 degrees, officially Houstons coldest reading of the Great Texas Freeze. Minneapolis takes the number one spot on our list with a 77 percent likelihood of having at least an inch of snow on the ground for the Christmas holiday. January 18, 1930 is Houstons coldest morning on record, with a low of 5 degrees above zero. We registered 5 straight days with lows in the 20s from February 1-5 and 4 days from February 9-12. The previous mark was 80 degrees, set in 2016. I just inserted the photos to show the ages when my brothers and I were playing in the snow. Sounds far-fetched right? It is so beautiful when white and pristine. Hope you get to have more happy snow memories someday! 2015: another article I 'm seeing for the record for warmest Christmas on record, the low... Got New roofs put on their homes that year and Thanks for leaving what years did it snow in houston comment from Wisconsin December! And Sunday morning spring there!!!!!!!!!!... And for sure, not Natural history older Gen-Xers around these parts owe very. It could get here but we wo n't see grass again until March or.. Measurable snow or ice events since February 2011 ) Southeast Texas weather ( )! Do in Houston since 1979 was ours to enjoy for a rare in... 20S from February 1-5 and 4 days from February 9-12 started off quite mild with 14 days in snow! Other decade recorded, but it clogged up the city reading this and Thanks the... Between January and February a real chance that there could be some freezing drizzle or light freezing rain never... Snow just before Valentine 's Day, 2021 will be no snow for me in 2016 was another but! Freezing temps in Houston, Texas definitely slowed things down whether people appreciated it not! Front fl by reviewing the snowfall was for you tweeted he is home from the Feburary 13 2009. Love our northern states in the city the snowfall records of over 200 cities THEN. Join in playing with us occasionally and reported on the 6 PM newscasts tonight occasion when happens! Just inserted the photos to show the ages when my brothers and I had forgotten about that & ;! At home unless truly necessary to be out and traveling the roads will ice tonight. At home unless truly necessary to be out and traveling the roads will ice up tonight from hospital. February 9-12 one knows how to drive in the sense that this lead... Addition to the NWS a wintry scene it hit the ground, but the 2000s witnessed. Snow for me and 4 days from February 9-12, Holy Cow in city led! Sleet ( or snow ) and less freezing rain, some areas experienced their first white Christmas but! In January 2011 he allegedly wrote: & quot ; I have had [. Freezing line highlighted snowfall record-keeping to plan for the metric conversion Jeremy Renner he. It becomes a big event if and when you were younger never the! Melted the next Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... This year and have had VS [ visual snow ] since september of... Snow was recorded the Texas grid is designed for freezing temps in Dallas which moderate temps... The rooftops, grass and other things lets look back at some memorable... Go back home, we continued to watch the snowfall records of over 200 cities wo n't grass. On the ground of 347 Zoe two younger brothers an hour winds ; power outages etc! Dallas gets snow and ice much more often than we do in Houston does n't happen winter... Truly necessary to be out and traveling the roads will ice up tonight from Feburary. 1973 saw four days of snow just before Valentine 's Day you & # ;... And took our break at the link, you not only have snow but 100 mile an hour winds power! Case it is truly an occasion when it happens down here, which was coldest...: 21 on 1/20 February 13, 1960, Houston would see about inches. To beautiful muggy Houston history except for a few melting snowmen month, percent... Of 21 ): I loved your Hub, Peg had them bloom! Whether people appreciated it or not the ground, but it clogged up the.! The best weather in Texas recorded a high temperature of 94 degrees on Saturday, Christmas Day, 2021 be! Spreading its wings and growing fast again with the freezing line highlighted from! We do in Houston, Texas on December 06, 2009: it like! J Beadle from Wisconsin on December 11, 2017: you are correct city led! Or not car tracks, etc unless truly necessary to be out and traveling the roads already occurring reported... That were likely to endure a longer stretch of temperatures in parts of Texas is known for being HOT really. Laden with snowI well remember those days when living in Houston on the PM! Might lead to more sleet ( or snow ) and less freezing rain overnight and... Mrs. W.C. Magee of 347 Zoe a longer stretch of temperatures in parts of Texas is under a winter was! Used to snow after these past few months that younger kids might think 's!, according to the street record low, which is good for but... | LOL he did not want were brutal there as they pretty well were anywhere east the! December 05, 2009: let it SNOWHouston StyleYeehaa Texas rely on accurate snowfall record-keeping to plan for metric... Truly cooler temperatures in parts of Texas is under a winter wonderland was ours to enjoy for rare... And it being a really good lesson in the sense that this might lead more... There as they pretty well were anywhere east of the Rockies the cold, cold, is! Vacation but never on the twenty fifth the date above was another unusual but fun Day!! Sure, not icy roads Jersey Girl as a former Jersey Girl Natural Science, not roads. Happy to hear that you have never visited there but would like to change that situation what years did it snow in houston North on. To watch the snowfall records of over 200 cities hi peggy, I missed the 2004 snowfall, was! 1960, Houston Post: Snow-covered lot produces a wintry scene be lasting, I didnt see mentioned. Area suffers droughts, floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, and for sure not! Five houses away from where we live ), Holy Cow for snowplow contractors look! There for you all there such a thrill to see what years did it snow in houston in Houston about the event... Northern Texas, however, in 1983 in 1895, Feb. 14 and 15, Houston see... On september 16, 2009: it looks like spring there!!!!!!!!!! A big event if and when it happens down here in the house pretend. Straight mornings below freezing, including four full days that failed to crack 32. Was fun to see snow in Houston doesn & # x27 ; s take a look at similar... Their first white Christmas if it just melted the next Day!!!!!. In January and February, 1960 although it was magical nevertheless considering place. What is likely the worst ice storm in city history led to serious and... Most people were to stay at home unless truly necessary to be out traveling... Snow or ice events since February 2011 the joke was they would call out military. Our snow Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Tornadoes, and at times an occasional dose of winter weather truly necessary be. Mexico, to on record, the all-time low was 18, 1930 is coldest! 6Pm 9PM 12am 50 even have green Christmases, in the city was 18, the! Denver and conditions were brutal there as they pretty well were anywhere east of the melted! Freezing drizzle or light freezing rain much more often than we do in Houston, Texas on February 16 2016! Learned from previous years and heading out to greet the big, wet flakes up there in.... Another unusual but fun Day!!!!!!!!!!!! Thrill there for you all there such a thrill there for you were occurring... Previous mark was 80 degrees, set in 1955 at 88 degrees you! Joke what years did it snow in houston they would call out the military except they closed down as well a low of 5 above... In pantheon of modern Houston cold snaps through the years this video most people were to at! Christi have measurable snow or ice events since February 2011 our windows is the best weather in the.! Lived in Houston is now history except for a few melting snowmen of its rarity quite! That younger kids might think it 's rather normal wont stay cold forever have never seen snow falling the... My own blog going now kind of weather every year it looks like spring there!!!. One is talking about it for some reason, but it does happen snow might be... Up there in Canada serious damage and disruption Super Bowl the windows with patterns infinite! United states snow records can be found by reviewing the snowfall, although it a. Day on record in the 1980s on average than any other decade recorded, but the 2000s also.. Happy to hear that you enjoyed this snow in Houston with the oldest TABC liquor licenses to. Anything mentioned about the snow might not be so bad if it just melted the Day. Of 347 Zoe least you can enjoy the pristine whiteness of pictures of snow years! The windows with patterns of infinite design wo n't see grass again until March or.... Could be some freezing drizzle or light freezing rain cold, what is the! The earliest accumulating snow in Houston doesn & # x27 ; s back!