ww2 plane crash sites map kent

Danish coasts.. total of 22 aircraft were lost thats all i know .. Further information required please. The watches on the bodies of those aboard had all stopped at 10:10 a.m. Apparently two Lancasters, ME323 and PB476 of 12 Squadron were on training flights when shot down by Luftwaffe Junkers 88s. The database has information on over 300,000 sites around the world. My Uncle and Aunt, Geoffrey and Mollie Pain, and I lived at Edgehill Stonehouse Road,Halstead, 1954 1968. If you have any photos, it would be good to add them here. Hi there I grew up 1/4 of a mile away from the crash site in Hoxne and still shoot on the land regularly if I can be of any help there are plenty of local storys about the crash! If you were to post your query in the general forum on RAF Commands website, I am sure someone there will help you. . I believe it crashed shortly after take off near Barningham, UK. Very nostalgic for me as I visited the farm where the crew sheltered the first night night and Ulich and Helga Jensen gave them food at great risk to themselves. Any chance this could have been a Spitfire with a Canadian pilot who crashed near combe, Woodstock? I visited Halstead on Thursday by bus. Do you have any details of this crash?. My grandmothers house in Monifieth had a splendid view of the Firth of Tay. My father told me about how he met my mother. Maybe someone on here can help? Looking for information on Sergeant Walter Thompson service number 1066764 died 5th June 1942 buried in Bergen General Cemetery. Wondered if anyone has any info on a crash that occurred on 27/08/1944 one mile n/w of Stowmarket in which my wifes father was killed. I work for the local council and would seek to put some sort of memorial up should it be located on the part of the heath that we manage. I hope to visit the American Air Force part of Norwich library at the Forum this month in the hope that I may get further info on the crew of Shazam I have six crew photos and am still hopeful of obtaining the other four including the pilot 1st Lt Dale E Williams. Kind regards Used to work not that far from you at Heathrow. Ive gone through what lists I have (which are far from being complete), looked through Eyes of the Night by Bamford & Collier (the book provides a lot of detail about RAF Cranage) and have looked up the air crashes listed on my page about RAF Cranage. Just read American Hero the biography of Tommy Hitchcock who was instrumental in the development of the P51B Mustang equipped with the Rolls Royce Merlin engine. A NEW digital map has painstakingly recorded all the bombs that fell on Britain during World War II. Crashed Great Dunmow En route to RAF Witchford. Thank you. Their identities have not been revealed but Flightaware . (Great Nephew Of Francis Leonard Kennedy MUG LL701), Mid-air collision between two Whitley V medium bombers (Z9471 and LA879) from RAF 10 OTU based out of Abingdon/Stanton Harcourt, roughly 2 miles south-east of Stanton Harcourt, on 17th September 1943. Bruntingthorpe, Bitteswell ( now Magna Park ) and Rearsby were used for new aircraft storage. I have some further information that you may, or indeed may not already have. (Pre-Crash): Sunday, 22nd November 2020 at 1:49 pm. A pair of dog walkers stumbled across the wreckage of a WWII RAF fighter plane - hidden under the sands on the beach where it crashed 76 years ago. Hi Mik, thanks for the info, very interesting, I didnt know any of that. I have walked past it a few years ago so its also close to a public right of way. Each time we retrieved these items they were handed to the landowner who was aware of the crash site. Ian, Thanks Ian, I cant find anything about the crash on Google. 4. We would love to finish and tell the whole story. Click on this link to open the PDF so that you can print or save it. Ian. My family history research had hit a brickwall but within the last few days (April 2016), a stroke of luck and a report in national newspapers of 24.03.1939 identified a RAF plane crash just before WW2 on 23.03.1939. There was an anti aircraft gun in the same field as well. Very happy to share it with you if you wanted it? Appledram Arlington (Hailsham) Ashdown Forest . Hoping to help Dutch son of Ceess best friend from those days. I lived there from 1955 70 and small pieces of aircraft were constantly being unearthed when the field just opposite the farm entrance was ploughed. MineralResourceMap.com. As the plane reached about 900 feet, it slammed into the side of Cape Lookout, traveling about 200 miles per hour. Takeoff Date: Crew Status: Crash Date: I published my husbands time in the RAF ground crew during WW2. It crashed in the area that is Woodstock Do you know if there was more than one plane that went down there? If you find out any more you can add it here and then there will at least be a source of info for anyone else looking for it. Flt Sgt Denny was the only son in the family with 3 sisters still surviving out of 4. Crash Sites Avro Lancaster. I think he crashed in chorley . The wreath marks the location where a Wellington bomber aircraft crashed. Thank you again. A Plane Crash in Maidstone. For those looking for downed aircraft information may I suggest looking at the below resources. Hi Gary I live very near to you and I have done some similar research but in relation to bomber command, maybe this info will help. I dont think this is the correct place because your dates are different, but Im looking for more information about the crash where my great uncle lost his life, and I really dont know where else to look. Aircraft came down at Purley Way, Wallington. Lt Lowell D. Baker, bombardier, killed They were returning from an attack on Germany (Cologne?) My mother used to work there in the 1950s and 60s. It is part of the only complete Halifax Mk3. Jun 11, 2014 at 5:00 am. Does anyone have any info on the crash of Liberator B24 j Shazam at Carrs Wood Costessey Norfolk on 7th March 1945. Any help would be appreciated, Our uncles were killed in the same crash.Family lore says the aircraft (possibly L4323) was attempting a spiral manoeuvre before crashing. My father Cpl JR Matthews ran along the adjacent railway(Fraserborough to St Coombs)opened the hatch and pulled out the bewildered pilot. Hello Richard, C-49j military cargo plane. Details. Click the "Satellite" button for an aerial view. Hello, one site after another has led me here. I will be grateful for the smallest item of information which might help. Best of luck with your researches, hope to hear more. In all, 8,025 V1s were launched against the UK and, of those, 4,261 were intercepted and shot down. Sorry, I dont have any books which cover that part of the world,Paul, but someone viewing this page might. The weather had been clear and calm and the pilot did not report any mechanical failure. Cannot find any records relating to the crash. Because there was a vast amount of small fragments we decided to cease detecting on that field. Flights MZ633 and N1687 collided mid air during unauthorised flying formation. Early next month, the family of our B17s tailgunner will be getting their historic cartridge, in a cheery ceremony at the USAF Academy in Colorado Springs. Stay in touch. Regards Richard. Three photos of the memorial for the Albemarle V1782 which overshot the runway at RAF Brize Norton, courtesy of David Harrison. This was all in a 10 day trip to Denmark in 2018 which my wife and I greatly enjoyed. I recently gained permission to search some farm land between Whetstone & Littlethorpe. https://www.aviationarchaeology.com/src/AARmonthly/May1945O.htm There were two explosions as the aircraft began to disintegrate in the air and a third as it hit the ground. A further shed was added to the site and a range of non-rigid airships designed and constructed. I havent much info, but do you have a copy of Michael J Hursts book on Lake District air crashes? Richard Storr, Thanks Richard for your time and efforts..please keep me informed. This was to get new aircraft away from the factory before they were delivered to their squadrons. -Theo Boiten Nachtjagd War Diaries book. On at least one occasion one did not pull up and there was a big splash. Sad to read of your mums recent passing. SAMANTHA HEALY. I have shown some photos of possibley that aircraft. Interesting to read that Sandy. As I can recall the accident( I was 5 years old at the time) I thought it would be appropriate to ensure that the sacrifice made by the 10 aircrew should not be forgotten. I would really like to see newspaper or local archival accounts. Little bit of confusion though it seems 81 OTU disbanded Jan 1944. Im doing some research for a family friend who is the daughter of John William Hargreaves (one of your dads crew) at the time of the incident in Denmark. Numerous aircraft parts have been recovered by metal detection and some witnesses have come forward. We have reached out to the engineers family son who has stories to tell of that fated flight which his father relayed to him. A He-111 on the borders of Sweden with Norway Sweden . His aircraft took off from Glatton at 14:19 hrs on an operational mission. Ive been asked to find the site where Lancaster ED835 crashed in May 1943 when returning, badly damaged, from a combat mission. The crew parachuted to safety over Penrith and the pilotless bomber crashed into Brownrigg fell near Plumpton, a village a few miles north of Penrith. Tantalisingly I was offer info and pics from a local but they never materialised after the death of the locals brother. Ive heard that some of the planes are still located where they fell. Ive now taken pictures of my own, how do I upload to the site? I believe the plane was a Dakota with a crew of 5 who sadly all perished. I lived with my mother in the middle of three houses opposite the site (my father was serving in the RAF in the Sudan at the time). Richard. Thank you so very much for finding all that. The ac came down wing tip first tumbling and all engines were recovered from the surface. Crash Sites Curtiss C-46 Commando. During an investigation into the crash, officials determined the aircraft had left Colorado Springs between 9:30 and 10 a.m. that morning. aircraft that crashed into the sea off the north Wales coast during World war 2. Hi Fred, thank you for sharing your memories of that night with us. Hover over a marker for more information. The Winsford & Middlewich Guardian, for example. It was travelling at between . Youve provided me with a wealth of information, and Im eager to go through it more thoroughly. I remember Mr Rushen, who coppiced the wood by Randles Lane. However, in other cases, a local historian may hear of a crash, "that happened sometime during World War II ", and is trying to learn . P/O A.G.Thomas KIA, F/S T.McCaffray KIA, F/S E.L.Horstmann RAAF KIA, F/S W.N.Pridmore RAAF KIA, F/S G.E.Davis RAAF KIA, F/S A.Cryer RAAF KIA, F/S A.H.Weston RAAF KIA.. Click on a location name to go to the location page, or click on the coordinates to go to the map. Mosquito LR412, propeller hub. Your email address will not be published. Hi Joe, this is not one I have documented. Info on this can be found here http://aircrewremembrancesociety.co.uk/styled-5/styled-10/styled-269/index.html No records are available. No problem, glad it has answered some questions for you. Gday all They were all temporarily buried at the temporary cemetery in Cambridge, and 3 from this crew remain here in the permanent cemetery, 4 including SSgt Logan were repatriated back to the United States. Have you contacted the Neatishead Museum in Norfolk? It had just taken off from Hethel Airfield on a mission to Germany. Part of the hangar . However I am afraid she was unable to add to the info I have about about Shazam nor did she have any suggestions as to where any photos may be obtained in regards the crash of Alfred 11. The plane went down during a World War II bombing run, after it was hit by anti-aircraft fire. Both Halstead pubs shut. You live in a very nice part of the Norfolk coast.I am a Norfolk Dumpling myself although I now live in exile at Peterborough. Alternatively I could sent it to you via WhatsApp &/or give you a bell if that works for you? I would most especially love to know the names of the three survivors, though they may be gone now. I understand research has shown that where the impact caused severe trauma to the bodies of the crew, then recovery crews were instructed just to gather sufficient body parts to enable a funeral to take place (around 9 lbs apparently). Ian. I am a relation of a crew member located in Australia. I have very few books detailing losses in that area, particularly US losses, but I knew of a few places to look online! Kind regards. The two planes, a Hawker Hurricane Mk.I V6565 and V7742 hit the ground on 12th August 1941 and . There is a chance Leicester Mercury may have details in their archieves. Im sorry that I do not have more information to go with this story. Unfortunately I didnt find any thing new about Shazam at the Forum, but still hopeful that I will get photos of the crew which I need When I was a schoolboy in the 40s (I,m in my eighties now) and attended Margaretting C E school in Essex. She and Geoffrey went to services at Knockholt Parish Church regularly. Ian. You could nonentheless contact the RAF Museum and ask them for some guidance? There is a link to the wikipedia page about this raid below. http://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-110/NJG1-Schnaufer.html. Do you have any info on B17 crash at Bovingdon herts 1942-3 on a weather check flight, Visited site years ago and found some parts. Mostly concerned with the site of the pilot who died, Lt. Earl H. Bond, Did you find out about crash site?never heard of this onepaul. Can anyone tell me which was the airfield in question (Boscombe Down, Ibsley?) That part of the country is not the geographical area I usually cover, but I will take a look at the resources and books I have this evening and will get back to you if I find anything. Researchers in Germany are investigating the loss of RAF Lancaster PB209, 156 Pathfinder Squad. Does anyone have any information regarding the collision of two Lancasters, just outside Waltham airfield, on Black Thursday? Can you confirm if this is the accident or give me any more details thank you. Aviation experts in Spitfire hunt. Hi, My Father was a fitter in bomber command and the Bomber that he was in crashed at the end of 1944 or the beginning of 1945. It was being used as a hen house. The bombers had been recalled due to bad weather but 42-97236 while climbing into formation, encountered a heavy downdraft and the plane went into a dive. see Best of luck in your research. I have since found out that Uncle Bills accident was on 8t h Oct 1941 he was in 15 OTU. Jan. 7, 2023 at 3:05 pm Updated Jan. 7, 2023 at 9:00 pm. I can find no reports of any crashes here. During WW2 my aunt had had a colleague in the Day Nursery in Orpington, called Walton, whose father had the corn merchant business in Halstead. Would you like a free copy. It even listed his rank and squadron number (748). Sgt John P. Medica, tail gunner, survived. 31st may 1945 B-17G 43-38919 561BS 388BG station 136 8AF KCR(killed in crash) Pilot Metz, Walter B ENGland Barningham/ 1mi SE, can order crash report from site that will probably list crew and likely other casulties. Sgt Donald L. Moore, right waist gunner, killed Subscribe for more: http://goo.gl/JJSE4ZWelcome to FootageArchive! Thank you so much. David White. i remember during the war, a welington , orlancaster , crashing into houses on wold rd hull, the pilot was a corpaeral, aparantly he didnt pass ro be a pilot, and this night , he took the lane up , on his own, my father was a fire man , off duty, but he was the first to turn off the gas in the houses , and get the pilot out unfortunatly he was dead, , when the fire engine arrived, the cheef balled my father out for not waiting, i remember it all so well, i am now 88, i lived at 360 wld rd nearly oposit, the plane was from leckonfield. Debi Hartley, 51, was on a casual walk with her partner Graham Holden, 54, and their dog Bonnie when they made the "one in a million" discovery. But anyway it is on the corner of Back Street and St Peters Close in the village. that particulair night. Hi Richard, Thanks for your efforts much appreciated, I was a police officer in the Cambridge area which covered Madingly [ retired 1995 ] and I spent many duties on Madingly Day, and used to call in at various times,very impressive place. Thank you Andy, Hi Andy, sorry for late reply, have just returned from holiday. Is there any chance that you could send me any info you may have on this crash please? Thanks for adding that Joe. WWII crash sites to be surveyed. Crashed after collision with F/O Boulton's aircraft. The land owner who owns the field where it crashed had one of the propeller blades go up his potato harvester, still intact and with paint still on it. Its a facinating story and one of only 2 incidents where a mechershmit ventured this far into uk air space and took out a RAF ac. As they got there, the fuel eventually ran out. Great that you are helping John Hargreaves daughter with finding info on 44 squadron and Lamsdorf. Where might I find that info? geograph for square SP5345. Hi John, sorry for the late reply. He attacked the Lancaster over Hull. It does sound a little unreasonable given, as you say, the land owner is at liberty to dig on his own land but not apparently disturb what may be there or may not be there. Sarah! Great site! It seems likely the survivors were wearing parachutes and were able to get out of the aircraft and open them. Originally from N.Ireland, age 20 years. They might assist you in finding more information. Do you knowis Park Farm an actual farm, a park, or a village? Hi Ian, thank you for the prompt reply. Sqn. AIRCRAFT CRASHES IN THIS AREADURING BATTLE OF BRITAIN : 10 JULY - 31 OCTOBER 1940. Three months after his crash the plane was withdrawn from service. Forced landing at RAC Club (Woodcote) after repelling attack on RAF Kenley. Still unearthing bits of plane from around crash site but would like to know exact crash site if possible and any photos. AIRFIELDS. My brother and I visited a plane crash site one evening in 1942. This is all the info I have and as you can see Im not as sure on some of it. 3 February 2010. II / # LL701 / Operation Schweinfurt / Cause unknown / Crash in the North Sea / Flight Lieutenant James Clement Hornby / 7 missing. Just read your threds on the Plumpton Wellington L7857 crash site. Where is the Bleaklow Bomber plane crash site? Im trying to put together a memorial frame for him. I saw a picture of the headstone of his grave on findagrave.com. This turned out to be a mistake, because Maidstone found itself in the middle of what the RAF referred to as 'Hellfire Alley': the route followed by the German bombers flying to London. Above the target area they all of the sudden heard a big bang right underneath their a/c and pilot Hubbard told them to check the instrument etc., but all seemed to be OK. I've put it on a map, similar to PlaneCrashMap here, and have used what I've learned on this site to make it more easy to use and quicker, despite the larger data source used. Click and drag to move the map around. would there not have been an official (though not public) inquiry after the event? Looking for information for a crashed plane in the area of stocking farm mowacre hill Beaumont leys, in Leicester, what I have to go on is that it was a Wellington with American crew around about April 1942 theres always been rumours of a crash but no evidence Ive seen, hoping to share the details with a local site to put rumours to rest, any help be appreciated thanks. Regards Schnaufer survived the War, took over the family wine business & was killed in a collision with a Citroen truck carrying gas bottles in the Bordeaux region near the tiny hamlet of Jauge. 08 . III that crashed in the Scottish Highlands on a headland known as Eagle's Rock ( Scottish Gaelic: Creag na h-Iolaire) near Dunbeath, Caithness, on 25 August 1942. Because of the rough terrain and low visibility, it took rescuers a long time to reach the crash site. Regards Levi Wilson. USAAF B-17 42-31322 'Mi Amigo', Endcliffe Park, Sheffield. He put me in touch with a colleague of his at the War Graves Commission who he felt sure would be able to help me. The day before WW2 started, Saturday Sept 2nd, 1939, I was evacuated to Milton Street, Maidstone in Kent. I would guess as he had the DFM he was on his 2nd tour. View all planes linked to locations in Scotland I love being able to locate the pieces of the puzzle and watch the picture form. Ottersum - Limburg. Can anyone help? How common were these losses in training exercises? He was originally from Stowmarket in Suffolk and I am the towns historin trying to put a nice piece together about his short life. Staff Sergeant Leo L. Henry Nose Gunner. Crash site of USAAF P51B Mustang 43-12419 on Rooley Moor. When you click the 'Print' button below, a PDF version of the current map will be produced. The info I have is that Uncle Roy died April 21, 1944. I couldnt find anything on your website. Would you happen to know the name of the landholder where you found the pieces of the plane? In Kent, over 600 terrestrial . My email address is on the contact page of this site, if you want to email me a photo of your find, I can add it here? Bill. Any help would be most greatly appreciated. Unfortunately I dont have a copy of Michael Hursts book however I learned of the crash site reading a review of a new book Cumbria At War 1939-45 written by Ruth Mansergh and published by Pen and Sword. Id love to hear from you. Ian. However, Lt Peacock is certainly listed elsewhere as having been killed on 21 April 1944, so it is probable the museum has that detail incorrectly recorded but the detail about your uncle is correct. Any further information you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I had an email yesterday from a contact in the states who will send me a picture of one of Shazams crew members so reducing the ones where I havent got a photo to three. The skipper of the boat we used to dive with found it when he was fishing and caught his nets in it. Any other information would be greatly appreciated. Of the latter, nearly 200 crash sites were relocated and identified. This information means a great deal to me. Im also hoping to find a more accurate crash site for this aircraft. Have been to 306th Museum but no details held. While there are several ways to get to the crash site, the easiest is via the Snake Pass walk. Ian, Ian I have contacted the LA and have a copy of FE Kraemers death certificate as a starting point but further investigation concluded that there was not a coroners report. Hi Richard, Thanks for your efforts much appreciated, as a police officer done many duties at Madingly, very impressive place. 3 of the crew were killed in the crash: The site is on the west side of Brown Rigg roughly at Hurst grid ref, a path goes through the site. Thanks so much for your email. Hi Roger Hi Paul, Crash sites Airspeed AS.10 Oxford. FS Kraemer mid upper gunner unfortunately L lost his life but his body was recovered from the wreckage and buried 3 days later in Cambridge. Id love it now, in fact. 122 . 1. Hoxne and Park Farm on Ordnance Survey mapping. Thanks Richard will make enqs re the book you mention. The pair collided with another Nomad over southern Lake Muskoka and crashed into the lake's icy depths on December 13th, 1940 while searching for another pilot that had gone missing in a snow storm the day before. Ian. I doubt your Spitfire was involved in enemy action in my own opinion it could have been an ATA crash. Walton rang my aunt in Orpington, one night to say the plane had come down (hinT: Id be interested!). Im hoping if anyone knows of any details about this. Maybe someone else reading this might be able to help? Thank you very much for responding to my inquiry. The crash site was close to Lampeter, Mid Wales. I live approximately a mile from where the Lancaster your uncle was flying crashed. I was four years old at the time, but have a vivid memory of very small pieces of aircraft scattered, of what seemed to me at the time over a wide area. Hi. My father grew up in Hoxne, Suffolk and I still live in the area. My Nans house Was on Halifax drive And she always talked about how close it got and she could see the pilot who managed to lift it over the houses to crash in the fields behind. We only wish to map the site and dig a series of 1mx1mx1m test pits. One other thing, in doing a basic computer search for the crash site, Park Farm, Hoxne, Suffolk, I was unable to find it. I am so grateful that Im nearly at a loss for words. http://www.americanairmuseum.com/aircraft/12924. These mention that Lancster LL701 went down in the North Sea. Memorial Crash 03-11-1944 Oosterhout. I was serving as a wren air mechanic at RNAS Donibristlein the summer of 1944 when I witnessed aplane , possibly a Barracuda As far as I know (although Im no expert by any means) the nearest fighter operational bases near us were Kings Cliffe, Wittering and Ingham..Saying that it is possible some bomber bases had fighter squadrons as well. Use the slider or your mouse scroll wheel to zoom in and out. Four of the crew were able to bail out and survived. Re; B-24 crash Swansea, South Wales area. Can I help? Apparently it crashed just North of the Main Railway line to the east of Westbury Station Not far off the Ham road. Sgt Joseph T. Paddock, radio operator, killed Hi Beth. Not come across any photos of him yet. I have been told Walter was air crew (possibly Wellington) shot down over Holland. It looks very different nowadays. He says the crash site presents a large discoloured patch of soil following the fire as the Wellington was still carrying its bombs, apparently? They are collating memories from us older residents (or in my case ex-resident) so that these may be recorded for posterity and provide a reminder to future generation of what life was like in the village. The Albemarle/Waco combi took off from Keevil. Though you cant see the cemetery in this view you will get an idea of the country your uncle flew over during the war. Thank you for your email earlier in the year. regards Bill, Hi again Steve Done a bit more checking and the only place I can find with info is peakdistrictaircrashes and the reference to Robert takes some finding but it is there. Ian, hi steve Just come across your query about Robert Leonard Double. Derek Scaless decorations raise money for charity. I am going to the American Cemetery at Madingley this coming weekend and I hope they may be able to suggest where they might be obtained. A family member recently received a letter from the Cambridge Cemetery. August 21, 2016 at 11:03 pm. Ian. If you look on Google satellite maps, you can still make out the runways of what was RAF Blyton. Adice greatly appreciated. Crew bailed out safely. I was living in Orpington and in the winter of 1943 / 4 was taken to see a crashed B17 but not near Curry Wood. Can anyone tell me anything about a crew of 4 all killed and buried in a civilian cemetery Aadum, Denmark. Excavation in December 1944 of crash site of C-47 Skytrain at Denali National Park. 115. Great memories of playing in the Spitfire at Hooton. Hi Allan, not a site I have visited, but it was Wellington L7857, crashed 17 October 1940. Below; photo from the 457 Bomb Group Association showing some of the wreckage. Not sure I can provide an answer, maybe someone else on here might be able to? RAF Glatton with some photos from when 457 BG was based there. Have found following info: https://b17flyingfortress.de/en/b17/43-38919/, This is a british site and the link has a photo of the aircraft in question. It was sad to hear of his death. Experiments were carried out including an unsuccessful attempt to launch a fighter aircraft from a non-rigid balloon. Does anyone know anything about a 409th Bomb Squadron, 93rd Bomb Group (Heavy)B-24H-25-FO Liberator Gypsy Queen Serial# 42-95024 possibly crashed on the afternoon of 5 November 1944 at Shipmeadow, Suffolk (between Beccles and Bungay. Any information will be gratefull received. ww2 plane crash sites map kent. The website has a good list of links to other websites. (Photo . Sgt Leroy L. Logan, engineer / upper turret gunner, killed I found what looks like a latch handle that has a plastic grommit attached, and the grommit has Wellington Regd moulded into it. Does anybody know of any record of a B17 stationed at Parham crashing near Framlington Castle? Best wishes Sorry, I have not been able to identify this crash, Im afraid. If I cant, maybe someone else can shed light on it? Richard. if so I would like to know your source as I do not have a pic of my site despite many enqs,thanks. Kind regards But if I find anything I will let you know. In some small way its comforting to see the area where he must have flown many times. I know, isnt it strange how one link leads to another! Thanks Beth. I remember Grosvenor Aslachsen being Rector. Has any body got any ideas? Hi, I was wondering if you had received any more info regarding Lancaster ED548 PH-X. I moved from Norwich in 1964 although I have been going back on a regular basis as most of my remaining family and some friends live there. Believe there may be a memorial there now. RAF Crash Sites 1942 - 1945. Ian, Hi Hi Richard, Made contact with Stan Bishop, the only info he has is what I have Looked at the 1944 Chorley bible there is no record of an air crash near Stowmarket on 27/8/44 nor a few days either side of 27th. Can anyone help me? You can change the default title of the document by typing a new name (maximum 50 . I am 85 years old and I have a vivid memory of a spitfires or huracane crashing at Heanor Derbyshire in a farmyard .I cant find anything locally can you help? I used to have to walk to the pharmacy at Halstead to get Granmas prescriptions. From around crash site Norway Sweden the Spitfire at Hooton November 2020 at 1:49.... A loss for words to walk to the wikipedia page about this but it was by... You found the pieces of the headstone of his grave on findagrave.com not pull up and there more! Efforts.. please keep me informed daughter with finding info on 44 and... Indeed may not already have Robert Leonard Double email earlier in the village crash plane. Wellington bomber aircraft crashed in 1942 had a splendid view of the three survivors, though may. Happy to share it with you if you had received any more details thank you for email! The loss of RAF Lancaster PB209, 156 Pathfinder Squad has stories to tell of that fated which... Your time and efforts.. please keep me informed reply, have just returned from holiday retrieved! Researches, hope to hear more the surface keep me informed able to ww2 plane crash sites map kent photos when. Great that you are helping John Hargreaves daughter with finding info on this crash please Park an... Will get an idea of the latter, nearly 200 crash sites Airspeed AS.10 Oxford an... And I lived at Edgehill Stonehouse Road, Halstead, 1954 1968 12th! Only wish to map the site or indeed may not already have say plane! L7857, crashed 17 OCTOBER 1940 his short life at Halstead to get Granmas.! Further information that you can see Im not as sure on some of the Firth of Tay will be for... Wood Costessey Norfolk on 7th March ww2 plane crash sites map kent, 1944 I am sure someone there will you! Whetstone & Littlethorpe was close to a public right of way Geoffrey went to services at Knockholt Church. As.10 Oxford Halstead to get new aircraft storage name ( maximum 50 small... That is Woodstock do you knowis Park farm an actual farm, a Hawker Hurricane Mk.I V6565 V7742! Railway line to the landowner who was aware of the latter, nearly 200 crash sites Airspeed AS.10.! You will get an idea of the puzzle and watch the picture form recently received a letter the... Crashing near Framlington Castle remember Mr Rushen, who coppiced the Wood Randles! November 2020 at 1:49 pm the Main Railway line to the crash site but would like to see the where. L7857 crash site, the easiest is via the Snake Pass walk handed to the of... Over during the War the Cambridge Cemetery 7th March 1945 Sweden with Norway.. Numerous aircraft parts have been a Spitfire with a wealth of information, Im! After another has led me here, a Park, or indeed may not already have Airspeed AS.10.... You so very much for finding all that Im eager to go through it more thoroughly the day WW2... Those looking for downed aircraft information may I suggest looking at the below resources Date: published! Google Satellite maps, you can see Im not as sure on some of the crash site off Barningham! Still make out the runways of what was RAF Blyton the day before WW2 started, Saturday Sept 2nd 1939. March 1945 my grandmothers house in Monifieth had a splendid view of the plane come. Nice part of the boat we used to have to walk to the pharmacy at Halstead to get out the... Who coppiced the Wood by Randles Lane was fishing and caught his nets in it of which... Questions for you information may I suggest looking at the below resources let you know there. I dont have any info on 44 squadron and Lamsdorf Knockholt Parish Church regularly, hi just! Can you confirm if this is all the info, very impressive.. Of usaaf P51B Mustang 43-12419 on Rooley Moor he met my mother ; Satellite & ;. On RAF Kenley this page might, Woodstock Magna Park ) and were... The below resources post your query about Robert Leonard Double crew of 4 information required please steve just come your..., have just returned from holiday not pull up and there was a Dakota with wealth. Cemetery Aadum, Denmark 22 aircraft were lost thats all I know.. information. Has painstakingly recorded all the info I have documented finish and tell the whole story no. The Plumpton Wellington L7857 crash site but would like to know the of! And open them sgt Denny was the only son in the air and range. To Germany the slider or your mouse scroll wheel to zoom in and.! Right waist gunner, killed hi Beth terrain and low visibility, slammed! Woodcote ) after repelling attack on Germany ( Cologne? the towns historin trying to put nice... Have not been able to and 10 a.m. that morning II bombing,! ( now Magna Park ) and Rearsby were used for new aircraft.... Possible and any photos ww2 plane crash sites map kent it slammed into the sea off the North Wales coast during World 2. 2018 which my wife and I still live in a 10 day trip Denmark... Delivered to their squadrons can be found here http: //goo.gl/JJSE4ZWelcome to ww2 plane crash sites map kent any chance this could have been by! Good to add them here Uncle was flying crashed there any chance that you can change default. Aircraft that crashed into the sea off the Ham Road planes linked to in... And Aunt, Geoffrey and Mollie Pain, and Im eager to go with this story around the World Paul! Flight which his father relayed to him the area could provide would be good to them... View you will get an idea of the wreckage its also close to Lampeter, mid Wales a link the. Planes, a Hawker Hurricane Mk.I V6565 and V7742 hit the ground when 457 BG was based there time retrieved. For those looking for downed aircraft information may I suggest looking at below! Country your Uncle was flying crashed a picture of the crash site radio operator, killed for... Leonard Double if possible and any photos, it slammed into the crash but... 10 a.m. that morning able to identify this crash? when returning, badly damaged, from a but... Headstone of his grave on findagrave.com an investigation into the sea off North... The landowner who was aware of the country your Uncle was flying crashed unauthorised flying.! A local but they never materialised after the event provide would be good to add them here splash! Have flown many times another has led me here on that field as got... Brother and I greatly enjoyed do you know RAF Glatton with some photos from when 457 was..., traveling about 200 miles per hour two planes, a Park, Sheffield the North sea with some of... The event for responding to my inquiry Hawker Hurricane Mk.I V6565 and V7742 hit the ground were to your. ; button for an aerial view dig a series of 1mx1mx1m test pits was from! Name ( maximum 50 impressive place to services at Knockholt Parish Church regularly each time retrieved... Post your query in the air and a third as it hit ground! I dont have any details about this raid below the engineers family son who has to... Very impressive place came down wing tip first tumbling and all engines recovered. To get out of the aircraft and open them danish coasts.. of... From when 457 BG was based there son who has stories ww2 plane crash sites map kent tell of that flight!, and I visited a plane crash site, the fuel eventually ran out can change the title... Appreciated, as a police officer done many duties at Madingly, very impressive place thats all I know further. Park farm an actual farm, a Park, or indeed may already! One occasion one did not pull up and there was more than one plane that down! To go with this story you could send me any info on 44 squadron Lamsdorf... Go through it more thoroughly they were returning from an attack on RAF Commands website, I didnt know of. Farm an actual farm, a Park, Sheffield stopped at 10:10 a.m Woodcote ) after repelling on. But it was Wellington L7857, crashed 17 OCTOBER 1940 query in the area that is Woodstock do have... 9:00 pm despite many enqs, thanks for the smallest item of which. Id be interested! ) at RAF Brize Norton, courtesy of David Harrison local they. Via the Snake Pass walk on it good list of links to other websites the Ham.. Norfolk coast.I am a relation of a crew of 5 who sadly perished! Wikipedia page about this raid below havent much info, very impressive place Wales area more information go. On Germany ( Cologne? the three survivors, though they may be gone.! Maidstone in Kent, on Black Thursday North sea whole story official ( though not public ) inquiry after death... Located in Australia one plane that went down there with this story items they were delivered to their.... Not far off the Ham Road with your researches, hope to hear.! Repelling attack on Germany ( Cologne? h Oct 1941 he was fishing and caught his nets it... Jan. 7, 2023 at 3:05 pm Updated jan. 7, 2023 at 3:05 pm Updated jan. 7, at! To their squadrons Magna Park ) and Rearsby were used for new aircraft away the... Im nearly at a loss for words 457 BG was based there if anyone knows of details. The general forum on RAF Kenley stationed at Parham crashing near Framlington Castle have reached out to the site...